Timing Belt - Opinions required....

300tdi timing belt. I have all the bits but not quite. Is the tensioner and idler specifically required to be changed at every one?

I have two INA tensioners so that's fine. The Idler I have a pattern unknown one 🙄

The one on now is a INA. So should I leave it be and not change the idler. What you think? Change both...stop being paranoid?

It was last done 70,000 kilometres. I'm doing it at that which is 43,000 miles. I Always turn miles into kilometre intervals it's 38% sooner. So a 70,000 mile interval becomes 70,000km for me. Do everything same way. 

Doing the whole lot is belts and braces however I have changed several timing belts with only the belt replaced and have had no issues and no paranoia about it lol, if the idler and the tensioner look and feel fine they will most likely be ok regards Stephen

I always replace both and the shouldered crank gear, I try and get bearmach or branded. It's the hassle factor of if you need it back on the road, or could wait a few days for a branded idler. The real work is having to replace it all if it's chocolate?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearmach-LandRover-Defender-300tdi-Timing-Belt-Idler-Pulley-Later-Type-LHV10015R/323162631487?epid=1885193149&hash=item4b3dfe6d3f:g:dYMAAOSwuWJaxwK8

if you look at your unbranded are there any manufacturers marks to indicate quality?

Also there are early and late idlers, the later have the step washer as part of the boss so no need for washer as well. I'd always insist on a Dayco belt whatever.

Yeah it's a new dayco belt. The idler I will pull out in a few days as it's buried in my parts locker. I think it's a blue box.🙄 No chance here I think of anything else I went yesterday and asked in only parts place in namibia. I have two tensioners as when we got chance I bought the thing I thought was not INA on my list and got the wrong one....so two INA tensioners now and I still have the potentially ****ty idler .. I did swear when I realised. Note to myself to put manufacturers on my parts list on important stuff! 

Oh ..and my two front shocks are fooked......Koni HT Raids .... 70,000km and toast so I need some Africa specials on Monday. No way to rebuild em here. I recon they are too long for my truck and the adjustable mechanism is smashed to pieces. Other that that they do actually look perfect. Very light damping so anything will be better. 

Rears are fine though. 

7 hours ago, tweetyduck said:

Oh ..and my two front shocks are fooked......Koni HT Raids .... 70,000km and toast so I need some Africa specials on Monday. No way to rebuild em here. I recon they are too long for my truck and the adjustable mechanism is smashed to pieces. Other that that they do actually look perfect. Very light damping so anything will be better. 

Rears are fine though. 

What are the open and closed lengths? Standard shocks are 9.5" travel if I remember correctly.

They do seem to be slightly longer that stock so that is the issue. You might get away with it on most Landies but they are theoretically bottoming before it hits the stops on mine. A slightly taller turret would do the trick.

The stock are 327mm closed. Add on two bushes and your at 350 and the distance is 390 min on hitting the stops. So that's all good. 

the konis are a tad longer so It may be they were hitting. I will measure the length when they are off again tomorrow.

• Like 1