Shims between tub and chassis??

Should there be shims between the chassis and rear tub on a 200tdi 90?

I have my refurbished tub back from the painter and a new galv chassis. But the tub is fouling on the top of the fuel tank and will not sit down onto the brackets on the chassis, should there be shims between the chassis and tub? I know there is a pad - presumably as an aid to stopping vibration, but should there also be shims to adjust the tub alignment on the chassis? 

You say it is a 90 so are we talking standard 200TDi underseat fuel-tank or a TD5 style rear-mounted tank? Whichever it is then no, I have never come across any shim other than the isolating pads.

Looking at the photo below (taken 12-months ago when I had just put the rear tub onto my new chassis) there is only one place where the rear tub gets anywhere near the top of the tank (the seatbox seam) but even so there is still a significant gap with no danger of the tub touching the tank.

DSCF0046.JPG

Edited by Litch
Typo

Exactly my set up Litch - even the same colour!

My tub edge is sitting on the tank and there is a gap of a few mm between the chassis and tub floor.

It is also new YRM tank brackets - will have a look and see if bracket can drop any.

Which chassis, mine is a Richards?

What tank brackets do you mean? I fitted a Richards galvanised front bracket (despite already having a galvanised on on my existing chassis) but at the rear it just bolts through to the outrigger and those holes aren't slotted. The holes in the tank may be slotted (can't remember) so you just need to make sure it is a low as possible. 

Other than that I can only presume that the outrigger may be bent (unlikely to have been welded in the wrong position as they are jigged)?

DSCF0030.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

Apologies - don’t know why my mind jumped to Td5 tank when you specifically said 200Tdi!

Mine sat with plenty of clearance as above. I did have to widen the small hole for the breather hose though, as it wouldn’t sit properly when lined up. I presume the spigot was in the wrong place on the new tank. 

Slackened off the tank this morning, just in case there was enough 'slack'. Had a good look and it appear that I am missing one of the tub floor pads, but it still does not look like it will haev enough clearance - even with a spacer in place. Will order some up and see what happens. 

In my enthusiasm to pull it all apart I didnt take any photographs... wish I had now! :( 

Edited by Mean Green

Ohhhhh... Never a good decision.

Lots of photos. Labels on any wire / cable / pipe. Drawings / notes to act as an aid memoir. Lots of boxes / plastic tubs (clearly labelled) for assorted fixings / parts.

Going off topic here but that is a perfect example of why I favour stripping the body when doing a chassis swop (see other thread on here). Lifting the body (inc seatbox & sills) as one unit, that sort of corrosion is unseen and by the time it eventually found it is possibly too late for an "easy" repair. 

As for the gap between the tub and the tank, that matches my photo shown earlier.