110 rear axles

currently thinking about disc braked rear axle for my 110 build. i have a drum braked salisbury which i have been looking to convert to disc. also looking at the rear axle fitted to the 110 puma models. am i right in thinking they are 4 pin diffs? i will be running the 3 ltr m57 bmw diesel, any words of wisdom welcomed please.

Nothing helpful to add other than I am considering the same for my 110 rear axle and was planning on fitting a disc braked Salisbury if I can find one or convert the drum one I have if not. Is the length to the nose of the diff of the Puma axles the same or do they use a different length prop shaft?

When I had a 300tdi 110 the diff had a knocking and felt rough. I had a spare disc Salisbury which was no better, I ended upI replacing it with a good drum braked diff and axle casing, and converted it to disc, intending to use the best bits off the disc axles for the conversion, however everything was so worn I ended up fitting new stub axles, new half shafts, new drive members, new disc shields and new calipers. It was not all that expensive, and everything fitted. I think the only thing I had to do was drill a hole in damper mount bracket for the disco shield, All that was any good off my disc axles were the caliper mounting brackets and hubs which were standard disco 300tdi ones which are ten a penny. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, forkrentfitter said:

different length prop. bit of a quandry which way to go. went to buy a disc salisbury rear axle last sunday, it looked like it had spent its entire life in salt water.

i too have priced up at britcar, i have known the owner for 26 years.

That is what I have found too. Couple of decent ones near Manchester but I have not got keen enough yet to go and look!

On 3/23/2021 at 9:26 PM, oneandtwo said:

When I had a 300tdi 110 the diff had a knocking and felt rough. I had a spare disc Salisbury which was no better, I ended upI replacing it with a good drum braked diff and axle casing, and converted it to disc, intending to use the best bits off the disc axles for the conversion, however everything was so worn I ended up fitting new stub axles, new half shafts, new drive members, new disc shields and new calipers. It was not all that expensive, and everything fitted. I think the only thing I had to do was drill a hole in damper mount bracket for the disco shield, All that was any good off my disc axles were the caliper mounting brackets and hubs which were standard disco 300tdi ones which are ten a penny. 

when you say standard disco 300tdi ones, is that front or rear hubs please.