300 Tdi Fuel Lift Pump Gasket

Hi Folks,

Hopefully folk can comment?

Replacing the gaskets on our fuel lift pump - Defender 110 300 Tdi 1996 

Trying to understand the image in the parts catalogue - What does the acronym "NSS" mean?

In any case, unless I'm mistaken, seems that we had two gaskets fitted? Is this normal? Don't seem to recall anything else between them when I removed it?

Thanks in advance,

Simon...

664_fuel_pump.png

On 200Tdi engines there is a lift pump mounting plate with the spacer as part of the plate, in which case the thick spacer is not used. 

On a 300tdi the spacer is cast into the right side of engine block. If that & the spacer is used the lift pump operating arm will not contact the camshaft lobe.  There only needs to be one gasket between lift pump & it's mounting boss on engine block

When I was rfitting my rebuilt 300Tdi, I was quite persuaded by the logic of the guy behind Glencoyne engineering who has started making the spacer available.

Apols I'm using an ipad and the 'cut and paste' option is crepe, so here's the link with the blurb. I'd had an issue in the past with a broken lift pump, so thought I'd give this a go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303972930031?hash=item46c632d1ef:g:WnEAAOSwNyhc64xb

Just for whatever its worth. That guy seems to know his onions/engines.

Likewise, my engine (which is a fairly early 16L 300TDi) ate two fuel lift pumps in fairly short succession so I cut the flange off one of the broken ones and machined it flat to make a spacer about 5mm thick. It's been fitted and working fine for about 18 months. 

34 minutes ago, Northwards said:

When I was rfitting my rebuilt 300Tdi, I was quite persuaded by the logic of the guy behind Glencoyne engineering who has started making the spacer available.

Apols I'm using an ipad and the 'cut and paste' option is crepe, so here's the link with the blurb. I'd had an issue in the past with a broken lift pump, so thought I'd give this a go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303972930031?hash=item46c632d1ef:g:WnEAAOSwNyhc64xb

Just for whatever its worth. That guy seems to know his onions/engines.

Those are a lot thinner than the genuine spacer.