Refitting resistor for heater

I was about to resolder the resistor before refitting it to my heater which I have rebuilt. However I have the resistor that was sold by a forum member to speed up the fan. Should I resolder the original resistor and fit the new one? Or only fit the new one?

20210711_152254.jpg

That's my kit, and if you follow the instructions (like 100s of others have), it replaces the original resistor. Again if you followed the instructions, no soldering is required, the new resistor fits to the blower switch inside the speedo binnacle - to save all the faff of getting to the old one - and soldering.

Since you have stripped out all of the old resistor, and disconnected the wiring, you will have to cut off all the wiring in the kit and attach your old wiring to the new resistor at the fan end. Just screw the resistor to the inside of that metal plate.

FYI - for other forum members, even if your old resistor is burnt out, you can still fit the new one at the switch.

Edited by simonb
  • Like 3

Simon thanks for the reply. As you can see below I stripped the heater down to it bare components to de-rust it and repaint it before reassembling it. In doing so I took the resistor off so I could de-rust where it was screwed to. Going through my parts box I found your resistor, hence asking the question. 

20181201_103130.jpg

20181124_141844.jpg

20181124_145612.jpg

Ah, that it explains it. Yes just cut off my wiring and wire in place of the old one. The original resistor has to be air cooled, but the new one will be fine bolted on the outside of the casing, or you can fit it inside like the old one. I designed the kit to bypass the original resistor by fitting it to the switch, as normally its such a pain to get to the old one.

Be worth painting your new mounting bracket with rich zinc paint. All the water from the windscreen/bonnet ends up running down over the footwell and the bracket which is why the end up like yours.

Might be worth opening up the motor and checking the brushes and also the bearings whilst you are at it. The bearings are Olite bushes so should be "maintenance free" but the steel shaft can rust. A few drops of light oil into the bearing bushes can often work wonders.

Edited by simonb
  • Like 1