Making a TD5 more fuel efficient

I used my 90 TD5 as a daily for about a year, as well as to go and play in the weekend. It got 30mpg or better (rarely exceeding 60mph) and she never let me down until I fitted silly tyres. And it always made the journey to/from work an occasion. The main reason I upgraded to a P38 Range Rover was because the miles started to increase when I got a new job, up to 1000miles/week (with a tank card, luckily!). The Range Rover was a nicer place to be, make phone calls from or cover distance more quickly (even if it was a diesel) while not using more fuel. I also wanted to avoid putting that much mileage on the Defender.

Things have changed a lot since those days, what has remained is I cannot see myself driving something normal/boring. I've often thought about it, but can't justify spending money on something I know I'll hate. If it's cheap things are bound to wrong sooner or later and cost money. With something like a Mini there's always more to be had and then things get expensive again. I also know myself well enough to realize I'd drive something like that much harder and with a lot less care than something I like. Which wouldn't be a good thing, especially in the long run.

To put your concerns about economy into perspective, due to circumstances I'm using a Jag XJS-C V12 to get me all over the country this weekend. I expect to fill up 3 times in as many days, not sensible by a long shot but I'm sure I'll enjoy the drive. 😉 

There's no harm in using your Defender, see how you like it, and think about replacements if you feel like it. Driving habits will make a big difference, I fear chasing economy through upgrades might lead to frustration. It also pays to think about where you fill up, over here the difference can be up to 10% from one station to another. That's 10% more economy right there!

Filip

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Escape said:

It also pays to think about where you fill up, over here the difference can be up to 10% from one station to another. That's 10% more economy right there!

This, and the quality of the fuel. SimonR did some calcs a few years back on the various vehicles he had and the benefits of branded vs. supermarket fuel. IIRC, even a few pence a litre extra was worth it for the non supermarket fuel.

I think I saw VBH do a segment on fuel a few years ago and supermarket fuel didn't do too well.

Just seen I can get a 2003 Range Rover with not too silly miles for £8k. Might have to sell the defender, buy a RR and pocket the change...

11 hours ago, paime said:

Just seen I can get a 2003 Range Rover with not too silly miles for £8k. Might have to sell the defender, buy a RR and pocket the change...

Have you driven a 2003 Range Rover? It will surely be more comfortable on the road but will use more fuel and cost more to maintain than a TD5. And it's a totally different driving experience compared to older Land Rovers (including the P38 Range Rover). Not to everyone's taste, I'm not a fan... £8k doesn't sound that cheap either, over here they can be found for around €5k (though usually higher mileage).