Headlights help please

intermittently started losing high beams occasionally a month or so ago.  Drove to pick up something at dark the other night and main lights worked fine.  When I fired up to head home no headlights at all (I had to drive home some few hundred km with just side and indicator lights, but totally normal in Kenya!).  When I put on the indicator (side) lights, all is well and dash lights come on as normal.  But when I go to headlights there is nothing and the dash lights go off like they are all turned off again.  The flash continues to work, but high beams do not work in headlights mode.  I took the headlight switch off and checked the connections and all seemed okay, no melted plastic or anything.  Is there a way to test the switch?  Is there another common suspect? 

Thanks in advance...

Almost certainly the headiight switch, the studs sink into the plastic and come loose. To recover temporarily,  scrape the plastic away from the switch contacts, or sometimes you have to solder the studs to the electrical contact. In dire emergency,cut the wires off the switch , strip them, and twist them together.

Dont know exactly what vehicle it is, but I would agree with Cackshifter.

My seldom used Renault Master does this too, and I have to fiddle with the switch, so this reminds me that I MUST get a new switch before it MOT 

The blue is headlight feed and the red is sidelight feed . The live is brown iirc. 

Your main fault is no dip beam which is a function of the indicator/dip/main stalk . 

With the headlight switch fully on you should have 12v on blue and red . If so then try bridging blue to blue/white for main beam and blue to blue/red for dip beam at the connector for  the indicator stalk 

Steve

Taking the heavy load (headlights) off the main and hi/lo switches by fitting relays would help . 

Given your location , dust ingress won't help things , brake or contact cleaner sprayed into the switch housing/lever hinge might help 

Steve