Back from Holidays

Paul

Well, if you hadn't noticed, I've been away for the biennial holidays. The Aus/NZ forum has been capably looked after by Cols110, who has obviously only just managed to keep you lot under control. (It's OK Col, help is at hand now). :lol:

Anyway, our little trip took me to a few places on the way to the UK (Austria, Germany, Poland & Czech Republic), but first and foremost was a stopover in Dubai. The current home of our very own Cols110.

It was great to finally put a face to the name and meet up with Col. I have to say a very big thankyou to Col as well for looking after a fellow Aussie and his missus too, because we spent a day is the sand being hugely entertained by a certain green 110 and listening to a TD5 bouncing off the rev limiter. What joy! :D

Our day began not far out of Dubai for the marshalling of the troops:

PICT0121Small.jpg

Cols110 was the only Landrover in our group, but being Australian we're pretty much used to being surrounded by Nissans and such. After the roundup, we headed out here:

PICT0124Small.jpg

That's what you call wide open spaces. Not much to get in your way, except a few of the natives:

PICT0135Small.jpg

For a lunch stop, well there weren't really any trees to park under, so here'll do:

PICT0131Small.jpg

Now, that big green 110 made easy meat of most of the dunes, but I couldn't resist a photo of the one the had Col temporarily beaten. My esteemed co-moderator grinning at his handiwork. He knew this shot would appear for all to see. :lol:

PICT0138Small.jpg

The indignity of being pulled out backwards by a Nissan. :rolleyes:

PICT0140Small.jpg

Of course, much like Australia, this is really an environment where the Nissans and Toyotas reign supreme (there's no substitute for horsepower, outside the UK), but I have to say Cols chipped TD5 certainly makes my ol' Tdi feel like a lawnmower engine pushing a freight train. :blink:

Eventually we made it to the UK and were warmly welcomed into Castle Cordell, somewhere in Exmoor (although without the SatNav in the rent-a-jag we'd never have found it) ;) . It was great once again to put faces to names and meet some of our fellow forumers on the 'After Christmas Treasure hunt'.

Sincere thanks to Neil (V8Freak) for making room in his 110 to ferry boofhead & I around for the day. Hopefully we contributed to you getting some of the clues on the way, but I doubt it. :lol: As they say, it's not whether you win or loose... ;)

A good shot of the preparations, with Val (Mrs White90) smart enough to stay out of the cold and try to look interested in the pending proceedings. :D:ph34r:

PICT00002Small.jpg

And of course the 'you show me yours, and I'll show you mine' stop somewhere on Salisbury Plain. Neil's V8 certainly makes nicer noises than my Tdi.

PC300002Small.jpg

Isn't this Landrover community amazing? You can travel almost anywhere in the world and be greeted by great friends with a common interest/affliction. Once again, a big thankyou to Colin, Tony & Val & Neil. I hope I can return the favour sometime in the furture. Just get yerselves down here to South Australia! ;)

Paul,

Sorry we didn’t get chance to meet again this year whilst you were with Tony ……….work got in the way this year.

However, I may be out your way in Late March / early April …..we are still deciding whether to do our usual trip straight into QLD and head North………… or fly to Adelaide, then onto Melbourne, and then drive from Melbourne to QLD …….decisions, decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Ian

Well, I might be biased Ian, but I reckon you should be going via Adelaide one way or another next time. Of course, you know who to call before you get here. ;)

BTW, that clock still sits on my desk. I think of Exmoor and a certain V8 truck cab every time I look at it. :D

Paul , glad to see your back in the land of the living mate, and a few pictures of your European-Middle East trip made the forum. I`ll have to pull my finger out and throw up a couple of other photo`s of the day out, but saddley, most of my picutres are of Jap or Yank trucks, not LRs.

It was great to catch up with my fellow Australian Mod and take himself and his wife out for a day in the sand and share a couple of drinks afterwards. Its a shame I did`nt have a bit more time off to show him around some of the Wadi`s as well, but I guess we can do that next time around.

As Paul mentioned most of the trips out here are with Jap vehicles or Jeeps, and as much as I hate to say it, some of them are very capable, as was one of the SWB Patrols which was out with us this time around. With a set of 35 inch BFG ATs on it, and a female driver who knew how to drive it, it took some stopping, but the sad part is she was a dedicated LR fan and still has a Tombraider 110 which she is trying to flog as it has turned into an unreliable money pit which has given her no end of grief.

• 2 months later...