LED indicators etc

uninformed

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Joe ….. there are people on the Internet who will feel you are now moments away from a visit from a SWAT team enforcing s.41 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

image.jpeg.401d01717f62cd36caa427eed27de0fc.jpeg

I know a thing or two about road traffic legislation, I’ll take my chances 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

I just fitted LED bulbs to my standard lamp units and changed the indicator and hazard relays for LED compatible versions.

My only problem with that is even the genuine brand have poor quality plastics, fittings and plugs. At least a complete LED unit is somewhat sealed. 

Is the quality of the LED lamp plastic any better?  At least the original lamps can have the lenses replaced easily and cheaply.  Swings and roundabouts.  I like the look of these Chinese LED units, since they look far more similar to the originals than the Wipac or RDX types.  But if the amber lenses fade as fast, they’re an expensive option.  Joe may have the last laugh if he’s using decent LED “bulbs”.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Is the quality of the LED lamp plastic any better?  At least the original lamps can have the lenses replaced easily and cheaply.  Swings and roundabouts.  I like the look of these Chinese LED units, since they look far more similar to the originals than the Wipac or RDX types.  But if the amber lenses fade as fast, they’re an expensive option.  Joe may have the last laugh if he’s using decent LED “bulbs”.

Agreed, it will be a ‘suck it and see’. I nearly went down the expensive path of DDE military light fittings, new polycarbonate “Sputnik “ lenses and LED globes. I guess the various failures I’ve had with factory lights have pushed me this way.

Water in lenses, fittings and plugs. 
Stop/Tail twin filament globes getting hot and melting the bayonet fittings (lose contact and deform permanently).
Poor lighting. 

UV/sun damage is definitely something here in Australia. So as you say lenses will be the test. 

Im still considering going a 95mm NAS style for the indicators to emulate the SIII NAS layout. Headlights will be conventional globe . 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...