converting 2002 td5 defender to ABS

Hi Guys, i have tried searching this topic but struggling.

Now i have just bought an XS loom for my 2002 defender, Full spec , A/C and ABS currently my axles are non abs td5 axles.

Can anybody help with what i need to do to make ABS a thing on this truck.

I have the following parts to hand which i hope may help or not.

1) xs loom with abs

2) Defender brake servo / master cylinder brake pedal from a 110 with abs.

3)Puma 90 axles but non abs type.

Now I know i will have to buy wheel sensors. but can these be retro fitted into the axles I already have ?  There's a separate ABS module somewhere on the truck ? 

I have seen the rear reluctor ring bolts to the back of the rear discs, is it a case of reaming my stub shaft to accept the sensor to come through the back plate ?

I'm not sure how the sensors actually fix in the back there.

and fronts i have seen they go through the top king pin i think but not 100% sure.

If anyone can share some wisdom on this topic I will be very grateful.

Thanks guys :) 

There is a separate ABS/TC ECU you'll need: SRD100490 (supercedes to SRD000110).

And the valve block/modulator: SRB101550 (supercedes to SRB500550).

Front sensors locate in a hollow king pin, that's a straight swap. But you need the correct CV with the toothed ring on it as well. Rear sensors go through the stub, I think all stubs are machined to take a sensor. At least the replacements now available are. Not sure if the reluctor ring can be fitted to all brake discs.

It will be quite a challenge to get everything working! I did the opposite and removed the ABS/TC from my 90 TD5 after fitting lockers and getting fed up with the returning errors.

Good luck!

Filip

I have got a pair of axles here, and I have just been out to look. Fronts are easy, but as Filip says, your existing CV joints may, or may not, have the reluctor ring.

Rear looks fairly straightforward if the holes are there, if not, just a case of drilling in the right place. Might be easier just to get some replacement stubs ?

I will photograph it if you wish, but you really cant see much without dismantling. You dont state your location, but you are more than welcome to come and have a look.

11 minutes ago, smallfry said:

I have got a pair of axles here, and I have just been out to look. Fronts are easy, but as Filip says, your existing CV joints may, or may not, have the reluctor ring.

Rear looks fairly straightforward if the holes are there, if not, just a case of drilling in the right place. Might be easier just to get some replacement stubs ?

I will photograph it if you wish, but you really cant see much without dismantling. You dont state your location, but you are more than welcome to come and have a look.

thanks buddy, how do the rear sensors mount to the rear stubs ? bolted on a bracket or just pushed through, stubs are only £25 so not all bad, the reluctor rings seem very expensive unless i can find used ones.

Just now, chris2010 said:

thanks buddy, how do the rear sensors mount to the rear stubs ? bolted on a bracket or just pushed through, stubs are only £25 so not all bad, the reluctor rings seem very expensive unless i can find used ones.

AsI said, I cant see much. I can feel a rubber grommet type thing, but no bracket. Not to say there isnt one

1 hour ago, Escape said:

There is a separate ABS/TC ECU you'll need: SRD100490 (supercedes to SRD000110).

And the valve block/modulator: SRB101550 (supercedes to SRB500550).

Front sensors locate in a hollow king pin, that's a straight swap. But you need the correct CV with the toothed ring on it as well. Rear sensors go through the stub, I think all stubs are machined to take a sensor. At least the replacements now available are. Not sure if the reluctor ring can be fitted to all brake discs.

It will be quite a challenge to get everything working! I did the opposite and removed the ABS/TC from my 90 TD5 after fitting lockers and getting fed up with the returning errors.

Good luck!

Filip

Where abouts is this module /ecu fitted on the truck ? 

39 minutes ago, Escape said:

The ABS ECU is next to the engine ECU under the RH seat, the modulator is in the engine bay. I'm sure RAVE has a good description for removing/refitting, that should be very helpful.

Thankyou i will check out rave , 

Thanks for your help.

Some pictures. The spigot bush does protrude through to the wheel hub side, I have machined mine off. This was a RRC housing I believe. Note the casting and strengthening around threaded and ABS  holes. Sorry the pics aren’t great they are screenshots from a quick video I made for a mate wanting to convert a regular Sals to ABS.

E87D4986-8533-43FB-8B3B-CE72547A6898.thumb.jpeg.519c2403fc0928f4c8263a9c05e62770.jpeg

B10706E1-CE4D-4C5D-BEA5-4B402DB8DB0D.thumb.png.ac4c2e43ac43d58d8cd9c4158ea6aaf4.png

C38D8F37-3DC9-4B09-9C9D-1FA13D058CA6.thumb.png.9613c16c17a747c0c6a637cb8e08a9c0.png

22 hours ago, uninformed said:

Some pictures. The spigot bush does protrude through to the wheel hub side, I have machined mine off. This was a RRC housing I believe. Note the casting and strengthening around threaded and ABS  holes. Sorry the pics aren’t great they are screenshots from a quick video I made for a mate wanting to convert a regular Sals to ABS.

E87D4986-8533-43FB-8B3B-CE72547A6898.thumb.jpeg.519c2403fc0928f4c8263a9c05e62770.jpeg

B10706E1-CE4D-4C5D-BEA5-4B402DB8DB0D.thumb.png.ac4c2e43ac43d58d8cd9c4158ea6aaf4.png

C38D8F37-3DC9-4B09-9C9D-1FA13D058CA6.thumb.png.9613c16c17a747c0c6a637cb8e08a9c0.png

That’s great . At least I know what I’m looking for now . Il have a look if they sell that bush piece seperate I can’t see it being that difficult to retro fit the last bits I check my new rear discs and they allow for the ring to be bolted to .

just need to find the rings / an ecu and probably abs pump as I can’t find the one i had 🙈 

Chris 

The part numbers are different, but not by much. Disco2 has HDC, but functionality should be the same. You need to check RAVE for any difference in wiring, could just be a different connector or something.

I have a modulator for a Disco2 on the shelve if you're looking for one.