19j oil leak

I have an oil leak from the oil return pipe from the turbo. I can the pipe is metal from the turbo, then runs down the side of the block to what looks like a rubber hose. It is leaking here. I have put an extra hose clip on, but it hasn't solved it.

Due to the weather and other things, I haven't crawled under to take a closer look.

Does anyone know if this hose is a specific part, or does it just clip onto another metal fitting to return to the sump? Any idea on the hose size? I'd like to have what I need to fix it when I tackle it. As it's super messy there, so I'll use an engine degreaser to clean the block/pipes down. And do an oil change all at the same time. Thanks.

375908921_Screenshot2022-02-23at11_46_20am.png.a1ce9832d5b20bece369feb663d63a8d.png

4 minutes ago, reb78 said:

It looks higher up looking at the oil all over the turbo to manifold pipe and the inlet pipe - are you sure its not just doing the 19J thing and breathing heavy and spitting oil out where it can thats running down?

It might be, but def leaking on the pipe highlighted too. I think it spraying it up when being driven, making a mess. It wasn't doing it, a fairly recent development.

11 minutes ago, western said:

That was just to show you the part number & later part, good you found one at a better price

What mileage is on the engine. My TD died at 102360, about 25 years ago. 

150,000 miles.

But to be fair, we've had a few 19j's on the farm and between family. My brothers 19J was good to over 130,000 miles and only gave up due to me getting it stuck in a very deep mud hole and it ingested water. We have two other 19j's on the farm, one is somewhere north of 230,000 miles the other about 170,000 miles. Both of these are still running fine with no issues.

I agree with Richard, you may have a leak from the return line (I think I have a spare somewhere I can send you if you'd like), but you have very definitely got oil spraying from other places. The dipstick tube looks like one source of oil spray to me. 

If it were mine, I'd be thoroughly degressing this area of the engine and then having another look again in a week or so so see where the oil has returned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

I agree with Richard, you may have a leak from the return line (I think I have a spare somewhere I can send you if you'd like), but you have very definitely got oil spraying from other places. The dipstick tube looks like one source of oil spray to me. 

If it were mine, I'd be thoroughly degressing this area of the engine and then having another look again in a week or so so see where the oil has returned. 

Thanks. I did clean it off a few weeks back with degreaser. But I’ll check the dipstick too. Guess it should have an o-ring to seal. Have some spares in the barn, hopefully one will fit.

Will report back once I’ve replaced the oil return. But hopefully between the two items it’ll fix the leak. 

10 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Thanks. I did clean it off a few weeks back with degreaser. But I’ll check the dipstick too. Guess it should have an o-ring to seal. Have some spares in the barn, hopefully one will fit.

Will report back once I’ve replaced the oil return. But hopefully between the two items it’ll fix the leak. 

Have a check to see if the dip stick is sitting correctly in the tube. If you have excessing crankcase pressure, it can push the dipstick off its seat in the tube which can then result in oil spraying about creating a scene as in your photo. 

• Thanks 1