Where to support the body - 110 crewcab chassis swap

Hi, I have just bought a galvanised chassis and am about to start the chassis swap of my 2001 TD5 Defender (crewcab, 4 door pickup back). I have changed chassis before, but only by rebuilding the vehicle (every but and bolt). I want to lift the whole body out in one lump so it's done in a few days as opposed to 'a few weeks'. Just wondering where is best to support it? I have a 4 post ramp so am considering running a horizontal beam across each outside pillar, to run some bars off, and support the body while I drop the chassis to the ground. First problem is I can't get right the way through at the front, as it's tight anyway and there is a gearbox in the way. I'm assuming that the beat way to support it is to aim for the bulkhead at the front, and run a bar across one of the pickup crossmembers at the back?

Many thank in advance. 

James. 

You can also use the inner wing bulkhead mounts and run a couple of strops through them onto a spreader bar which runs over the top of the wings. Anything on the bulkhead and rear tub really. Word of warning, you're going to get some movement in the body and there's not much you can do about it. Panel alignment afterwards is a nightmare.

Thanks guys, that's more or less in line with what I was thinking. 

With it being a crewcab, roof over the four doors, it's probably going to move more over the back, where there is no roof to support it overhead. I think the best way to do it is to keep the doors on (and firmly closed), take as much non-essential weight out of the body as possible, then support it at the bulkhead, rear sills/body by rear doors, and again at the rear tub, it should be fine to be held aloft then. I was just concerned over how strong the whole body is with no chassis to support it, hopefully supported as above and with the roof on, all doors firmly shut, it should.be strong enough and shouldn't move 'too' much!

Thanks again. 

I lifted my 110 CSW under a scaffold built around it.

I had a chain block at the front, down to an engine ‘spreader’ that then came down on metal stops (which I made) to each side of the bulkhead.

There was little tirfor on the swing away wheel carrier at the back and another chain block onto a scaffold tube and using wire strops, down each side to pick up on another tube going under the tub at the rear arches.

The only difficulty was that it wasn’t very stable from side to side and wanted to tip one way as it was lifted.

After the chassis was rolled away I lowered it onto axle stands for the duration. 

DE0A1C7C-42A5-431E-9624-23E447CFF672.thumb.jpeg.c78b5dcd250eb9f977c6fae003248cf8.jpeg

Thanks guys, definitely food for thought. 

Only reservation I see still is that on a 110 station wagon there is a full length roof and sides to tie it all together. I don't have that, being a 4 door pickup back. Which means I guess supporting it at the front, middle and back. 

Maybe I could knock up a box section frame to tie the front, across the sill to the middle/rear seat crossmember and back to a crossmember under the rear tub. At least it should lift fairly evenly/equally then. 

Mine didn't move to much in fact one of the rear doors locks better now than it did. 

If you support right up the front of the rear arch you'll be directly under the bulkhead and back of the cab. This area is probably stronger on a crew cab than on a csw, so if it was me I'd happily support/lift on the front bulkhead either side and the same on the rear bulkhead (you will probably need a board across between chassis and body).

Mike