1997 3.9 V8 EFi Refresh

Wanting to address only one thing at a time, I rigged up a cooling system using a Craig Davies water pump used on a previous project like so - no thermostat:

20230522_142634.thumb.jpg.7303d296de84f2ffd7b7970f67a60067.jpg

I switched on the donor Disco 1 cooling fans at 80C and it was holding water temperature at around 90C as in the pic. The instrument pic was taken about 10 mins in, after which I shut down. I'd been running at around 2,500 RPM and mostly concerned about water temperature - wasn't paying attention to oil pressure other than that it was there. I'm using a breaking in oil from Real Steel - don't recall the viscosity but will check tomorrow. I don't have oil temperature instrumented (yet). But I believe the oil pressure should be more like 40psi? 

Ah - but you meant oil pump! It's the later serpentine engine with pump driven directly from the crankshaft 

Looked up the oil on the Real Steel website, it's 10/30

Edited by Phill S

Not to cast aspersions on your gauges but what does it show if you put 40PSI of air pressure on it from a compressor?

Would not be hard for a sender-gauge mismatch or dodgy wiring to throw the reading off, and that's a far easier/cheaper answer than chasing imaginary engine issues!

It was a dodgy earth on the Pressure gauge. Having sorted that out I got a reading of 2.8bar at around 2,500rpm, and with a small step input on the throttle a little wavering while the prv did its thing - same the other way about, a small step back down.

Happy bunny time. Now to sort out the chaos you see in the pic above and dress the engine in all its finery...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phill S said:

It was a dodgy earth on the Pressure gauge. Having sorted that out I got a reading of 2.8bar at around 2,500rpm, and with a small step input on the throttle a little wavering while the prv did its thing - same the other way about, a small step back down.

Happy bunny time. Now to sort out the chaos you see in the pic above and dress the engine in all its finery...

I'm going to print that picture of your current setup and use it for inspiration. When I get to that stage I'll pat myself on the back as it'll be almost there. Right now that stage feels a long way away...

Thanks for all the posts about your experiences and challenges. You'll probably save me a lot of time and visits from Dr Tourette.