Paint adhesion best methods - axles and chassis

I am currently doing work on the underneath of the truck. I am having to change an axle case but have outriggers on my list.

I have noted that corrosion mainly occurs in moisture and crud traps. On my chassis I have been brushing it down and applying Lanoguard. I have chosen Lanoguard as I want to be able to monitor the condition of the chassis- it is 30 years old so need to keep my eye on it.

On cleaning things down I have noted the main areas of corrosion are the nooks and cranies that hold mud etc, and also behind loose paint.

I have come to the conclusion that if you paint something you are likely to create corrosion issues, especially over rust . I have tried rust convertors, but so far I am not impressed.

So, if painting a clean surface, what is the best way to make the paint stick like s**t to a blanket?

My next thing to paint is my rear axle case. It's currently in the electrolysis tub, so I am hoping to get most of the rust off before applying paint.

I currently have the following on the shelf;
Phosphoric acid
Bonda Rust Primer
Zinc oxine Primer
Thinners
Brake cleaner
Single pack top coat.
Aquarust rust converter - (not impressed so far)
Lanoguard
Lanoguard grease

The truck has had bulkhead outriggers before and on brushing and poking these ro remove rust you can see how small sheets of paint have been holding moisture in. I think if you can’t get good paint adhesion then it's better being left bare and painted with Lanoguard or another rust prevention soft coating.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mick

Chassis rust from the inside out Mick, so before planning the outside get inside the chassis done. Clean inside the rails with a jet wash and drain cleaning attachment and get something inside to prevent further corrosion.

Having said that, if it hasn't been replaced it probably is already pretty far gone at 30 years old.

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

As soon as I get the outriggers on I will get the inside of the chassis done. I have had this two years now and I don't think I have done over 600 miles in it, mainly due to covid, but I think I will put more miles on thus year.

I will give the chassis a good clean and leave it to dry out before doing the treatment. 

• 1 month later...