Discovery Td5 Turbo - to replace or to "overhaul" ?

Arjan

Goedeavond,

As the Discovery project is moving forward it has come to the point where some €€€ must be spent..

Turbo has axle play and oil in it and need replacing of the cartridge or a complete new turbo.

Who has experience with either please ?

Thank you.

• Arjan changed the title to Discovery Td5 Turbo - to replace or to "overhaul" ?

Changing the whole turbo was the way I went, it didn't seem worth messing around for the price difference, I don't know how prices are at the moment but with a little care that is very straightforward. Maybe consider new oil feed as well?

Changing the cartridge on a TD5 turbo is very straightforward. All the wear items are in the cartridge anyway, so unless there is damage to the housing I would always rebuild every time instead of replacing the entire turbo.

Thank You !

What is a good supplier of the cartridge ?

Replacing the whole turbo or "just" the cartridge is a lot of difference money wise...

It's been some years, I think I got the TD5 one (cheap) from Autodoc and it has done the job so far, though not done very high mileage.

For the TDV8 I did last year I got them from www.turborebuild.co.uk. Can't comment on the quality as the car broke down again a week after fitting (not due to the cartridges).

If you want to look into it, the Volvo 5 cylinder diesel turbos will fit and you get the added benefit of VNT with it, it does need some modifications to the existing waste gate actuator to make it work, but apparently gives a good result on driveability.