D100 Hydro boost brake upgrade

• landy_andy changed the title to D100 Hydro boost brake upgrade
12 hours ago, landy_andy said:

An currently working on installing a GM hydro booster in my D100 to compliment the Chevy 3/4t callipers on my 609 axles, if any ones interested I'll post up progress... let me know.

Absolutely interested regards Stephen 

Starting with a used booster off a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500. Whilst removing the unit from the factory mounting plate the nut decided to break into 3 pieces, welded it back together whilst I looked for a replacement. As luck would have it a regular LR spindle nut is exactly the same thread.

EA0AE4A9-9B3A-4563-9299-CDA147B7A5AE.jpeg

88E725D9-66BE-4968-AFC9-CC8C442B9E04.jpeg

Next I cut the clevis off the original vacuum booster with a short piece of the shaft left up to the point it reduced in diameter. Plan is to cut the eye off the hydro booster shaft, thread both as there 3/8” diameter and use a simple threaded joiner & jam nut. This will make service/replacement in the truck an easy job if required. Here we are working out the length of adaptor required to make this all work. Seems 2” is the magic length between the front face of the brake pedal tower and the booster.

66C19E7D-DC25-4897-B2B2-1A4FCF72B9B3.jpeg

6AEA1046-2BE0-49B3-BF9B-84DDA89E3703.jpeg

• Like 1

Whilst I wait for the cut parts, did some searching and figured out all the part #’s for the adapter fittings to use 6AN hose & fittings as I already have that on my 5.3 LS PAS pump setup. There all on order and will add those to the next update.  Next to give the pedal tower & booster a good clean & fresh coat of paint ready for reinstalling.

E88D90D0-C4B6-4689-ADC8-BB8804F7115D.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Excuse the dumb question, why and how much better is this over the standard vacuum servo.

Mike

No dumb questions here… basically the hydro boosters give you approximately double the hydraulic pressure to your calipers over vacuum boosters for the same amount of pedal pressure. It’s an easy way to get a significant improvement in braking performance when going to larger tires and when you mix & matching brake parts.

With the physical limitations on caliper size by keeping my 15” Stazworks rims I opted to use single piston Chevy 3/4t calipers all round on the 609 axles. There cheap & readily available but obviously won’t perform as well as a more modern 4 pot caliper. So, to offset this hydro boost gives me a ‘boost’ in line pressure. Will see how it performs once it’s all back together. If I’m not happy then there is the option to swap the calipers out for ones from Wilwood. They make 4 pots in the same physical size but there $300 each ☹️

Here is a great tech article on brakes for off-road trucks :

Billavista’s Brake Bible…..

To note, most 3/4t and all 1t pickups here have hydro boost brakes from factory due to their increased weight and the heavy loads they can tow.

Hope that answers your question 👍

28 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Thank you. So I guess it kind of works in a similar way to a steering box.

Mike

Yup…. if you look in the tech article I posted, near the bottom is an explanation on how they work.

Picked up the cut parts & some more TIG practice, really happy how this is coming along. Next to pick up an ACDELCO 18M230 master cylinder as it has a 1 5/16” bore that’ll move lots of fluid for my Chevy 3/4t calipers.

43726067-9EDA-42F6-B68A-844F8FF34218.jpeg

B079C0E6-3187-4FD8-9DBC-9FB9C7FD7D93.jpeg

1CEA8999-2470-49C6-A311-3EF0793BBD42.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 5:11 PM, landy_andy said:

7C46BEDD-814F-412F-8D34-5010F5A66A25.jpeg

I detect Solidworks 🙂

I'm guessing you use it professionally - unusual to see a fully defined sketch!  If you do a lot of Sheet Metal or Weldments, find me on

You're making a beautiful job of it (the build).  I've seen Hydro Boost brakes - but never seen someone adapt one to a Land Rover. 

Si

4 hours ago, simonr said:

I detect Solidworks 🙂

I'm guessing you use it professionally - unusual to see a fully defined sketch!  If you do a lot of Sheet Metal or Weldments, find me on

You're making a beautiful job of it (the build).  I've seen Hydro Boost brakes - but never seen someone adapt one to a Land Rover. 

Si

Nope… just a hobbyist, you missed the link Si.

There are a few kits around for LR’s but I wasn’t going to pay what they wanted for them. I only paid $110cdn (70 quid) for the take-off booster shipped and the cut parts were another $40 as I had 2 sets made. Biggest investment are the Earls fittings etc. Going to be interesting to see how it all performs once complete.

Thanks for the compliment, it’s been a very long haul… only seems like yesterday when I did the last LRO show with Dave Marsh before we emigrated… that was in ‘07 ☹️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, landy_andy said:

Nope… just a hobbyist, you missed the link Si.

There are a few kits around for LR’s but I wasn’t going to pay what they wanted for them. I only paid $110cdn (70 quid) for the take-off booster shipped and the cut parts were another $40 as I had 2 sets made. Biggest investment are the Earls fittings etc. Going to be interesting to see how it all performs once complete.

Thanks for the compliment, it’s been a very long haul… only seems like yesterday when I did the last LRO show with Dave Marsh before we emigrated… that was in ‘07 ☹️

I was going to say - but the second bit vanished!

If you do a lot of Sheet Metal or Weldments, find me on - the solidworks forum, I've posted some useful macros on there.  Particularly one which will traverse all the parts in an assembly, find the sheet metal bits, export the flat patterns as DXF's (for laser / Plasma / jet cutting) along with a Bill of materials for how many & of what material & thickness.  I use that every couple of days!

Are you the same Landy_Andy I used to know?  Big Pete's sidekick?😉

We met quite a few times at shows, I made the 3Link that ‘Gon-2-Far’ then ‘QT’ we’re selling… don’t really do that now. Just keep myself amused in the shop after dealing with avalanches in winter & MVI’s on the highway year round.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2022 at 11:46 PM, landy_andy said:

We met quite a few times at shows, I made the 3Link that ‘Gon-2-Far’ then ‘QT’ we’re selling… don’t really do that now. Just keep myself amused in the shop after dealing with avalanches in winter & MVI’s on the highway year round.

I remember you!  You also (I think) made me some beautiful foil 'blister' X-Eng Stickers!

I've used something very similar to your 3 Link topology too.

I hope you're doing well.  I'm a little envious of you moving to Canada!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...