Hi all, In middle of building an old series 3 88 and looking to fit disco 1 axles i have lying around on. You can fit the rear with not much hastle of what I’ve heard but the front clashes with the steering so i just wanted to know if parabolics would give me enough room to clear steering? Looked at fitting axle over spring but a bit more hastle and work. Which option would be best ? Many thanks 

13 hours ago, garymorris said:

If you have a look at YRM, they sell the brackets to convert and show you how to set the axles 

Had a look at yrm, think would do the rear axle no probs but i’m not that sure if it will do the same for the front. 

44 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Can I ask how much wider they are than a Series 2/3 axle ? 

I think Series 2/3 axles are 1.5” wider than the Series 1 axles .. but I’ve no idea how much wider the coilsprung axles are ? 

From my mind they are 16 cm wider.  That's about 6 inches? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Handylandyman said:

Had a look at yrm, think would do the rear axle no probs but i’m not that sure if it will do the same for the front. 

The way i did it, is making the spring seat's myself.  If you want to keep it spring under, you could rotate the axle more forward. But that would alter diff angle and caster angle to.  Setting the spring's lower down will lower the ride height, that can be changed with parabolic spring's , or militairy dumb irons and longer chackels.  There is no easy way if you want to do this.  

52 minutes ago, Wytze said:

The way i did it, is making the spring seat's myself.  If you want to keep it spring under, you could rotate the axle more forward. But that would alter diff angle and caster angle to.  Setting the spring's lower down will lower the ride height, that can be changed with parabolic spring's , or militairy dumb irons and longer chackels.  There is no easy way if you want to do this.  

Thanks mate really appreciate it. Think what i’m going to do is bigger shackles with parabolics. A lot more straightforward i would think and smaller wheels would do the job to clear the body. Thanks again, thanks everybody else too for your time 👍

1 hour ago, Handylandyman said:

Thanks mate really appreciate it. Think what i’m going to do is bigger shackles with parabolics. A lot more straightforward i would think and smaller wheels would do the job to clear the body. Thanks again, thanks everybody else too for your time 👍

Just a different offset for the rim's is fine.  Disco 1 rim's will fit the series body.  Ugly as a Toyota.. But the offset is good

7 hours ago, Wytze said:

Just a different offset for the rim's is fine.  Disco 1 rim's will fit the series body.  Ugly as a Toyota.. But the offset is good

Don’t know. Reckon it would look good with maybe 17x9 s on it. Thanks again mate 👍

• 2 weeks later...

It is a pitty LR didn't use the series set up for the steering for the RRC (which was later used on Disco 1 and Defender). Instead there is that, for a 4x4 rediculous, track rod acting as the lowest point of the axle! 😒

When installing those late front axles I think it is possible to make the same setup as the series (trackrod in front of axle above leaf springs). 🤔