The GKN Overdrive

2 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Just a note - people speak of these ODs as splitters

Didn't someone (I want to say @bill van snorkle) make or talk about making a true splitter gearbox that sat in front of the main gearbox, perhaps using 3rd/4th/5th only from another gearbox or something like that?

Always seemed an interesting idea but not super easy to implement.

13 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Didn't someone (I want to say @bill van snorkle) make or talk about making a true splitter gearbox that sat in front of the main gearbox, perhaps using 3rd/4th/5th only from another gearbox or something like that?

Always seemed an interesting idea but not super easy to implement.

I dont remember that but could be interesting to find the discussion. 

The splitting of the gears where I live is a must unless you have the HP to pull everything . I remember towing a 63 109 SW on a car trailer with my old 73 109. I only had the old 2.25 in the 109 plus an over drive . The grade of the hill was 10%. The trucks have to stop and do a brake check on this hill which is 11 km,s long . I actually have to pull over and shift into low range and then start again using every gear I had to get up the hill. Now I was WAY over weight as the 109SW was full to the brim with extra parts . 
I used low range because I didn’t want to break anything on the way up the hill . I truly loved having the ability to split shift to get the truck home . I think I made it up to 3/od in low range and the engine got a little warm but I made it . The truckers ALL have a special lane so others can pass them who’s made me proud because I actually did pass two of them . I stopped and let everything cool down when I reached the top which never seemed to come lol. It just went on and on and on lol.

I learned my lesson and now tow with a 6.7 ram 2500 with just under 500 hp . It doesn’t even break a sweat with my camper in the box and my car trailer loaded with the rover and all of my gear for our annual week of off roaring . 

• Like 1