1984 One Ten front discs & pads

I'm looking to order some new discs and pads for my very early 'one ten'..

Offically its a 'one ten' but at somestage in its life it was fairly modified transmittion wise to have 200tdi drivetrain.

I've read that all front discs and pads are the same, but I specifically saw a listing for 'one ten' front discs which makes me think that there not.

Also, I'm fairly confident that the front hub arrangment changed at somepoint in the 200tdi era...?

Whats the best way to confirm either way which ones I need to order? - I guess strip down and measure?

Hey cool! Mine is MY83 and was first registered in '86 with V8. It has a 200Tdi since the early 90s as well.

Discs are the solid ones which are not so thick as the vented ones. As far as I know, vented discs came with the 300Tdi. Calipers are the same size, but with a spacer between the halfes, to make them suitable to the vented discs.

OneTen.JPG

So the disks are consistant? its just the pad retainers that are different..? I'll have a sneaky look and see what I have on the calipers..

Edit, looks like its 2 retaining pin holes so I presume I can get anything from 86- circa whatever...

IMG_20220713_104113754.jpg

Edited by tommobot

• 3 months later...

These have been rattling away for long enough, time to sort it!

I think the metal retaining clips will fit - such as:

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/catalog/product/view/id/175706/?auto_apply_coupon=AUT65&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqoibBhDUARIsAH2OpWhkBIHdDdpwa9fgkFM9euN9MCTj1TGjaXWrpANCOOHPL31TosRCJrsaAowCEALw_wcB

Would someone just confirm this for me please..

IMG_20221102_125821908.jpg

If memory serves correctly, the differing pins and springs are not compatible with the opposite pads - the earlier pads have the flanges for the pins to pass through and coil springs to press on, while I think the later pads are shaped closer to the friction lining for the plate spring to sit under the split pin.  The spring has to be full width to press the steel backplates, and the early flanges would prevent the plate spring being fitted.

The online order site would be specific about 110 pads as the 90, RRC and Discovery all had smaller front brakes than the 110.  I believe the One-Ten and 200Tdi Defender 110 have identical axles, including brakes (there maybe width differences in the brackets for the radius arms, but I suspect that also changed with the 300Tdi, like all the other changes).

38 minutes ago, tommobot said:

These have been rattling away for long enough, time to sort it!

I think the metal retaining clips will fit - such as:

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/catalog/product/view/id/175706/?auto_apply_coupon=AUT65&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqoibBhDUARIsAH2OpWhkBIHdDdpwa9fgkFM9euN9MCTj1TGjaXWrpANCOOHPL31TosRCJrsaAowCEALw_wcB

Would someone just confirm this for me please..

IMG_20221102_125821908.jpg

the plate springs are for the other pad type as shown in the video above, as your pads have the 2 holes & coil spring & pins keep the same retainers again as in the video.

Hmmmm so by the sounds of it, they are 'correct' as they are then... 

So to stop the rattling is there any approved method? - Could I put a small rubber sleeve over the retaining pin to try and compress the spring slightly? - They don't really seem to have any compression to them at all at the moment..

The rattle must be spectacular for it to be audible in a moving Landy, surely?

My '85 110 does a masterful job of drowning out any superficial rattles with engine and transmission noise, plus road noise, tyre roar and so on.

I'm really looking forward to getting it that quiet...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Junglie said:

The rattle must be spectacular for it to be audible in a moving Landy, surely?

My '85 110 does a masterful job of drowning out any superficial rattles with engine and transmission noise, plus road noise, tyre roar and so on.

I'm really looking forward to getting it that quiet...

Its running a BMW M52 petrol and fairly 'roady' tyres so pottering about at 30mph its near silent (for a 84' 110 😀)

• Like 1