The Little Engine Who Couldn't Puff - 2.25l diesel woes.

nickwilliams

• 1 month later...

Good evening all, and just to close out this part of the story and bring this thread to a conclusion, here is the update I have been wanting to bring to the forum in gratitude for the attention and advice from all.

The engine is back together, installed in the car, and has been run for about an hour at this point.  I did have a significant oil  leak from the pressure pipe from the block to the back of the head which brought my first run to a premature end, but I seem to have cured that now and it needs some more use to run it in.  I have wiring and windscreen wipers to do to make it roadworthy before I can take it out for a proper run, but that will occupy me for the foreseeable future.

Compression pressures are all four between 30 and 31 bar, no evidence of blowby as it heats up, the timing is the same as it was when I took the little brute to pieces and it's got the right sound about it.  I'll make a proper timing check with a strobe against the flywheel marks in due course.  Oil pressure is 2.5 bar hot, about 3 bar cold.  Engine starts easily - well the weather is warm, so it jolly well ought to start OK - and the engine bounces on its compression as it stops on pulling the stop cable.  All the things it didn't do before.

So if nothing un-toward comes and bites me on the bum, we have another 60's relic saved for posterity.  No I didn't say prosperity!

More questions will follow - I haven't got to the bottom of the riddle of the front doors yet (new bulkhead, doors don't fit in the available hole)  but having something which, like Mr Toad, I can sit in and make brmm brmm brmm noises is a massive motivator to get some of the finishing details under control.

Oh, and I need to find someone brave enough to put the safari roof lights in for me.  It sounds a simple job, what could possibly go wrong?

My thanks to everyone

Simon

• Like 3