Chassis swap

On late (TDCI) generation of chassis, you should find the VIN all over the place in a kind of dot-matrix engraving.  I’m not sure if the dumbiron carries a punched number on the late models.  But earlier models have it stamped on the right side of the right dumbiron.

18 hours ago, Mossberg said:

Front right hand dumb iron, outside face. Mine is very lightly stamped so if its got any coating on it may be difficult to find.

Thanks everyone, I’ve found it now. You were right Mossberg, very lightly stamped! I was starting to get worried, with 36years of oil and crud covering it I went over and over a large area of chassis with a wire brush attachment on a drill and couldn't see anything. Eventually it gradually showed through and matched the V5 so all good now 

cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benji55 said:

Thanks everyone, I’ve found it now. You were right Mossberg, very lightly stamped! I was starting to get worried, with 36years of oil and crud covering it I went over and over a large area of chassis with a wire brush attachment on a drill and couldn't see anything. Eventually it gradually showed through and matched the V5 so all good now 

cheers

When I bought my truck I couldn't find my number because of the amount of coating over it. I was pooing myself just incase I had bought a ringer, even though I was happy with who I bought it from. It really is counter to what it's for when you can't find it and it's so susceptible to corrosion. 

But at least you found it - now look after it.

5 hours ago, Mossberg said:

When I bought my truck I couldn't find my number because of the amount of coating over it. I was pooing myself just incase I had bought a ringer, even though I was happy with who I bought it from. It really is counter to what it's for when you can't find it and it's so susceptible to corrosion. 

But at least you found it - now look after it.

Ringer was exactly what I was starting to think when I couldn’t find the number. Funny how quickly we start to think the worst case lol

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi all. It’s been a while since I started this thread. Unfortunately due to a dreadful family matter I had to put the the project on hold for many months. I was able to resume the project in May and happy to say it’s all finished and was given a crisp new 12 month mot last week. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared advice and their experience, it was really helpful. I’m hoping to get get the car resprayed in the next month (Keswick Green with black roof). 

Thanks again everyone

• Thanks 2

I'm not entirely sure how to react to that, but sorry about the family matter, glad you came out the other and and managed to get the truck sorted out! 

Pics, at this point, are mandatory, BTW ;)

• Like 1