Brakes puzzled

I got a defender tipper  , but the brakes are getting me mystified.  The pedel good firm servo works but no matter how much pressure  I put on the brake pedal I can't  get them to lock. I have fitted a double servo while the brakes don't go soft or anything I mean really standing on them won't lock, so before I got taking  them to bits anyone any idea? thinking servo push rod.

Thanks

Have you changed anything since it worked well, or has it never worked? if not check you have a good vacuum at the servo valve.

On the other hand if it's never worked explore the setup of the system, I struggled for more than a year after doing a rear disc conversion. In the end i had a moment of inspiration and fitted a newer disc brake master cylinder from a late 300tdi (smaller cylinder diameter than 2.5nad and twin front ports) this allowed more pressure/less volume to the brakes and it now locks up if i stand on the brakes.

Pete

Edited by pete3000

I don't think I've seen a standard double servo setup on a defender, you've not obstructed the full pedal range and it's stopping you from fully bottoming out the brake master cylinder?

Every 110 I've ever driven you can lock up the wheels relatively easily, even the heavy one.

How healthy are your brakes lines? - I.e. the hose parts, could they be expanding, doesn't quite tie with your symptoms though.

When I bought my first 110, I had endless problems with the brakes - similar problems to those you describe.

I changed the master cylinder, servo, serviced the calipers - and it was still just as bad.

The solution turned out to be this:

image.png.16791cc97354ad513cd06dc33abe408c.png

Known as a PDWA (Pressure Differential Warning Actuator).  It's located in the engine bay on the drivers side footwell below the master cylinder.

Mine was rusted solid inside and was blocking most of the flow to the front calipers.

Replaced it - and it was like a new truck!

Thanks lads but I found the problem I think. I started looking at the servo and just assumed it was working because the pedal  went down when I started the engine, but on further examination there was no vacume in the servo but the pump was working fine. So I got the smoke machine out and found the leak it's between the master cylinder and the servo. Now I just bought this servo as folk were saying double servo a lot better brakes ect so added it to the build, so I ain't never seen it fitted and working. I don't know if there a seal between the servo and the master , there must be. What's missing .Screenshot_20220820-141216_eBay.thumb.jpg.1ee13777ca355d1458f81d80ab86ba19.jpg