A jaunt down south

Badger110

On 11/2/2022 at 12:05 PM, Peaklander said:

It's good to find out the problem - what had actually failed on the turbo? Do you have a boost gauge?

Sometime ago, in fact just before the vacuum pump disintegrated, i was getting a high pitch whine when the engine was under load.

Adding the noise and the demise of the vacuum pump, i figured the problem was solved, until it came back again some miles/months later with an aftermarket pump fitted.  I drove it around and looking back it did feel a little underpowered, in fact i mentioned it a few times in the other thread that something didn't feel quite right, but i continued to believe it was the vacuum pump causing the noise and the injectors/head heavily breathing being the fault causing lack of power ( nothing huge, but enough to be mindful of it )

Before we left i replaced the vacuum pump ( again ) for a new unit thinking that was the issue sorted until the high pitch whining came back at 3k revs and above...then at 2.8k revs and above, then at 2.5....

Adding the real lack of power ( after i thought the leaking manifold was causing lower pressure in the exhaust side of the turbo ) and Nikki sticking her head out of the window during the journey it began to become a lightbulb moment that the noise was/had been the turbo for nearly 2 years

Removing the turbo, the vanes were rough on the edges and the spindle had a lot of play in it.  I did ask the company if they could report back on the one i sent them to tell me their thoughts but he explained they get them in and strip them down to be rebuilt without looking at the issue unless i specified i wanted that unit back in a fixed state, ie a repair service.

I looked at the upgraded units from BAS as i have a tune and intercooler, but it only really gives a noticeable power increase above 3000 revs which if i'm honest, i rarely go that high.

I was also looking at increasing the exhaust side of the turbo with one form the 3.2 litre version of the Puma engine, this does give a quicker spool up apparently and Hank over on Def2 has done it with a tweak from Pete at BAS...but if i'm honest, i'm getting to the point of just keeping the engine as it is or dropping a M57 with autobox in it, so not looking to spend any more real money on this particular engine now.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, never did i believe the turbo was an issue and i never found out exactly what the issue was, but it certainly was poorly given the truck feels completely different with the recon unit fitted.

• Thanks 1