Which uprated intercooler for a 200tdi

soutie

My fuel injectors pump was knacked so am having that reconditioned. There was metal savings in the fuel stop solanoid. The Bosch chap has stated that becuase it was tuned this has lead to it been knackered.

While the mech was working on the vehicle I asked him to flush the intercooler as this has not been done in the 75,000 mile I have had it on. He has come back and said it is full of holes. He was quoted £400 to recore it so I am looking at replacing it.

I used to have a J Fear full width one. The bosch chaps are sealing the fuel pump and its 12 months warranty will be void if adjusted. My turbo waste gate is set to actuate at 1 bar, not the standard 0.8 bar.

Should I go with the standard size but uprated alisport intercooler with a claimed 40% more cooling or the bearmach standard size but uprated intercooler with a claimed 50% increase in cooling and leave the turbo as is? Or should I go with the the full width alisport one.

Evenin'

It doesn't make sense to me that the pump would be worn because it is tuned. In delivering more fuel it has to work slightly harder but still within the spec of the injectors etc. Adjustment will void your warranty though, but that's because they can't guarantee you do it to emissions spec etc and in a clean environment - any dirt in your fuel will have a much greater effect, as will the new low sulphur fuels that we're seeing on the road today. The sulphur was originally present to lubricate the pumps.

Where are you having the vehicle looked at?

John

I did run the car on reserve and then filled dup at a BP station outside Northampton on the way to Billing. After that the vehicle started to surge. Redex in the tank seemed to stop it for a while. The diagnostics I took to find out the pump where gone where: check fuel line, replace fuel filter, replace fuel lift pump, take out fuel stop solenoid and find bits of swarf.

The pump was tuned by Jeremy Fearn. Inside collar machined off so diaphragm can open more fully. Washers apparently taken out and diaphragm turned to up the fuelling. I have had the pump for that way for the last 7 years and have always had a emissions reading at MOT of well below one, so have never really worried about emissions.

Do you think I should go for the Bearmac or Alisport 50% better cooling in standard size intercooler or the full width alisport one.

Money is tight so was thinking of going for one of the smaller ones, but don't know if that is false economy.

Peter

Pump damage ought to come about over a long period of time on low-sulphur fuel, or a short period with no lubrication at all. I don't see that the tuning would cause that though, but nor should running on 'reserve' because any dirt in the fuel would be caught by the fuel filter.

Mo was asking about intercoolers here and it seemed to come down to two manufacturers. I don't think there's a lot in it, so long as the core area x thickness is comparable and the fins aren't glued in (the glue insulates them!).

I used to run an Allisport cooler in the RRC (200tdi). Loved it to bits, loads of mid range and top range power increases and half the gear changes. The quality of the fit and the product was superb.

When I sold the RRC I kept the cooler with the intention of fitting it to the 100". I had a chat with Andy at Allisport about fitments blah blah and was going up for a fitting as and when time allowed. That was back at Malvern last year.

The thing is I honestly don't know if I need to bother. The pump has been tweeked a tadge and the wastegate tweeked. Boost starts at 1600rpm now. The thing is the old girl pulls like a train even with the 1.22:1 T box and is very driveable in higher gears. I don't need the top end power because anything over 70 is illegal, bloody scarey and uses fuel like a v8

On the same lines I was a passenger in Matt Neales 110 the other day. He runs a standard cooler with a few pump tweeks , but the vehicle weighs in at about 10tonnes ( :D ), he was towing a small but very heavy trailer up the hill on the A35 out of Honiton and the b*gg*r was in 4th and 5th all the way. Again he doesn't drive fast - no need.

Makes you think. Both vehicles are more than capable off road with loads of low down torque, but neither are stupidly over geared.

Matt does carry more tools than most garages (including a four poster, plasma cutter and a lathe) but my 100" weighs in at just over 2.1tonnes fully loaded

Looking at it from another side, the ever expandin wife has an RRC with a 300Tdi auto. This has the full Jezzer Fearn tune, running two (!) increased size cooler in series, turbo timer, turbo oiler, very tweaked (non ECUed ) pump. It's pushing out around the 150bhp/280ft/lb mark. Power starts higher up the rev range and continues on way past the norm. It is far more responsive than a normal 300Tdi but that is ideal for what it is used for. It never goes off road, rarely tows more than two tonnes and is often used for long motorway journeys. It returns 30plus mpg at 75mph with a full load in side and will see off chipped P38's like they are on Kwaludes.

None of the above vehicle have EGT problems.

I would fit a standard cooler, for a while (S/H ones are cheap) until the warrantee is up. Then I would seriously think about what you really need.