Cchase

Good afternoon,

At risk of overthinking a problem, I have seen/read about people drilling into the upper swivel assembly (and then at 90`) and adding a grease nipple, to enable lubing of the Railko bushing.

Is this common?

Secondly, If the spinning of the U-joint is supposed to splash oil into the hole on the bushing to provide lube, then why not slightly enlarge the hole in the bottom of the bushing and thrust washer? 

Obviously not so big a hole so as to weaken the bushing, but maybe to 1/4" or so.

Waiting for parts allows the mind to wander...

Thanks.

• Cchase changed the title to Railko Bush Lubrication

Common in the UK?
I'd say no, but I am so convinced it's a good idea that I have modified two vehicles in this manner. It's just a pity that both have become garden ornaments, so no reduction in wear or reduction in servicing effort can be claimed.

Greasing via spinning UJ?
If anyone can write a convincing argument about how the oil is forced upwards, against gravity, through the small hole, then between two flat surfaces (the base of the swivel pin and the base of the bush (or the Railko washer), then upwards between the side of the pin and the inner face of the bush,  I'd be interested to read it.
My point being that until someone understands how the original system worked it's rather difficult to claim any change is an improvement.

Regards.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cchase said:

Good afternoon,

At risk of overthinking a problem, I have seen/rad about people drilling into the upper swivel assembly (and then at 90`) and adding a grease nipple, to enable lubing of the Railko bushing.

Is this common?

Secondly, If the spinning of the U-joint is supposed to splash oil into the hole on the bushing to provide lube, then why not slightly enlarge the hole in the bottom of the bushing and thrust washer? 

Obviously not so big a hole so as to weaken the bushing, but maybe to 1/4" or so.

Waiting for parts allows the mind to wander...

Thanks.

I used to do this on my series; made a big difference on the steering. Problem with splash lubrication it has to go against gravity, so not great. I closed the hole with a metal disk and drilled the grease feed hole through, so the grease goes in the bottom face and comes out on top; so it is properly covered in grease.

I also had freewheel hubs, so splash lubrication was not happening.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did away with the railco bushes and replaced them with tapered bearings (like a defender). The swivel grease just doesn't lubricate the bushes. 

Image0865.jpg

The series lower taper roller bearings drop straight in and don't need greasing more than the swivel grease does. You need to turn the trunnions down to 19mm to fit the bearings and then shim like normal. My steering is spot on now.

Further information is available on this excellent thread:

Series trunnions

• Like 1