200tdi piston removal

JimAttrill

I read or heard somewhere that it is not possible to get the pistons out of a 200tdi Disco because it is not possible to get the ladder frame off with the engine in. Is this true? :unsure:

yes unfortunatly.

The ladder frame prevents acces to the bottom of the engine and can only be removed by taking the flywheel housing off the engine to get to two bolts that run horivontaly into the back of the frame.

HTH

Edd

yes unfortunatly.

The ladder frame prevents acces to the bottom of the engine and can only be removed by taking the flywheel housing off the engine to get to two bolts that run horivontaly into the back of the frame.

HTH

Edd

Edd, that is definitely no so on a 200Tdi disco as i have repistoned mine with the engine & box in situ. :)

I heard the same - you can do it on a 300, but not the 200 with the engine still on the box.

Les. :)

Edited after looking in the Haynes manual (yeah I know).

'Repair operations possible with the engine in the vehicle'

a ) Removal and refitting of the valve operating (rocker) gear.

b ) Removal and refitting of the cylinder head.

c ) Removal and refitting of the timing chain/belt and sprockets.

d ) Removal and refitting of the sump.

e ) Removal and refitting of the big-end bearings, connecting rods, and pistons *.

f ) Removal and refitting of the oil pump.

g ) Renewal of the engine mountings

h ) Removal and refitting of the flywheel.

Note that the operation marked with an asterisk can be carried out with the engine in the vehicle (after removal of the sump), it is preferable for the engine to removed, in the interests of cleanliness and improved access.

Note that, while it may be possible physically to overhaul items such as the piston/connecting rod assemblies while the engine is in the vehicle, this is not recommended. Such tasks are usually not carried out as seperate operations.

I really don't know Jim. I've removed the pistons on all the oil burner L/R engines with the exception of the 200TDi engine, so I really don't know for sure. I have to strip and rebuild a disco 200TDi engine within a week or so, so I will know for sure then.

Les. :)

i believe you Phil, just had always heard otherwise. plus ive never taken the pistons out of an engine ive wanted to run again so it'd be handy to have a nice picture rich guide to follow to make sure i dont do anything really dumb.

i believe you Phil, just had always heard otherwise. plus ive never taken the pistons out of an engine ive wanted to run again so it'd be handy to have a nice picture rich guide to follow to make sure i dont do anything really dumb.

Andy, sorry cant help on the photos, it was just another spanner session on an engine at the time, so i didnt bother with the camera. Also i was well cheesed off as i should have been in Norfolk on holiday but due to a strange missfire ended up doing the pistons, couldnt use the 109 either as the RH dumb iron had sheared off and i only found that out when checking the oil levels to go to Norfolk!

So it seems like you have another job, involving a camera, when you do yours. :unsure:

on a defender 200 there are bolts on the inside of the bellhousing which bolt into the back of the ladder frame, on a disco engine they bolt through the bell housing aswell, so i know that u cant on a defender engine but i see no reason why u shouldn't be able to on a disco 200 engine

ahh cheers for that Tonk, could well explain the different answers. i'll find out this year, i just keep putting the job off currently. my last tank of fuel in the disco has lasted a month, driven it twice since i got a motorbike & no real intention to drive the truck again unless i have too.