Putting a 2a chassis under a Series 3?

deep

I've done a bit of a forum search but haven't found a definitive answer, so thought I'd make a new topic (but please feel free to direct me to the thread I couldn't find!).  In short, I'm wondering what the differences might be between a Series 2a 88" chassis and an early (1972) Series 3 chassis (with welded gearbox crossmember)?  The only thing I can think of might be the handbrake attachment?

The story is that I bought a reasonably straight, original, low mileage Series 3 a couple of years ago.  It had some chassis rust so I bought replacement outriggers and a new rear crossmember, thinking I'd bodge it up and drive around happily.  Sadly, a bit of work with a needle scaler and wire brush showed a lot of bad areas elsewhere.  There comes a point when you think it really needs a new chassis but, ouch, they are so expensive now and who wants to do all that work?  Until yesterday, when I found an excellent Series 2a chassis going for peanuts.  Suddenly, it seems the work is worth doing!  I just want to know what needs modifying before I proceed with it.  Any hints or issues?

Thanks in advance...

Hand brake bracket and the reinforcing gussets on the bell housing cross member that gets in the way of the SIII clutch slave cylinder is the only differences that I’m aware of, and I’m not that sure the exhaust brackets are the same.

• Thanks 1

Ah, thanks for that.  None of those problems would be too much for an angle grinder and welder to sort.  Excellent.  

Our rules here are weird and very much subject to interpretation on the day by the tester!  Not really a problem as the car has lost its registration due to New Zealand's Draconian "use it or lose it" legislation (soooooooo many Land Rovers lost their registration like this, it's an absolute tragedy).  However, there is a procedure for getting them road legal again and a replacement chassis can be accommodated in the process.  Not for the faint hearted though...

• Like 1

Probably should explain that there is a LOT of private road where I live and my little Land Rover may never actually be used on public road, so the "rules" don't necessarily apply.  I still don't want it to fall in two though!

• Like 1

There might be details around the axle check strap mountings at the back that are different. But if you've modern socks then that would not be an issue.

• Like 1