Boge levelling unit in a STW

Fascinating.  I don't recall seeing that reservoir on my 1987 110 but who knows what the history and fittings are on military vehicles?  It also had the very unusual 18J engine, so not exactly the same as a civvy one in other respects.

The other ones I've had have been on Range Rovers, no reservoir, and I had a 1984 110 as a company vehicle - but that was so long ago that all I know is it had a Boge unit but not which one.

Edited by deep

The reservoir is the thing with a diaphragm i think thats charged to a stupidly high psi. I think with nitrogen. Not sure how the rrc version works without it. 

Edited by reb78

On 7/10/2023 at 5:57 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

Im aware it's a totally different function - but the construction shares a LOT in common with rebuildable gas shocks commonly seen on challenge trucks - and it *may* be possible to arrange / modify the internals in such a way to give the same behaviour.

Pretty sure compared to some of the KoH or Baja trucks, boosting the rear end of a 110 or RRC would be very light duty for a lot of them.

Pretty much all of those use coil overs with the coil spring holding the sprung mass. Maybe an ORI strut or an air shock, but again its complex/costly reinventing the wheel, which also includes the mounting points.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:26 AM, western said:

Military 110 wouldn't have the Boge strut, only fitted to County spec station wagons. 

Maybe in some markets.  Singapore military definitely used them.  They also had a rear anti-roll bar, presumably both useful when used as a gun tractor.