Puma forward facing rear seats for defender 90

I used a pair of Defender front seats for the second row, with 2mm steel sheet “tins” acting as the inboard legs and the outboard rail bolted to the existing but reinforced wheel boxes.  Work well and have the same head room and leg space as using the folding late Defender rear seats.  If you use captive fixings, or better still, a quick release system, then you would retain the load bay flexibility. http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/only-a-few-jobs-left-to-do/

I had the old Exmoor folding rear seats, but they are narrow and, when mounted as intended, are difficult to access or even lock the legs or backs in position.  Their seat belt geometry was dire, too.  Because of all that, I moved them outboard with the hinges set on 1/2” plinths to allow the base frame to clear the wheel box.  Sorted all of the issues except for head room for adults, but they were later sold off as they just didn’t get used enough.

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Maybe they've changed, but the aftermarket forward facing seats have never looked as stout as they should. The puma ones have always looked much more up to the task. Worth remembering the required reinforcing underneath too. 

The one I have is pretty solid.  

I think ET used to do two. A basic one that did look a bit flimsy and the lock and fold one I have.  Just the new version of the lock and fold one on there now though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Maybe they've changed, but the aftermarket forward facing seats have never looked as stout as they should. The puma ones have always looked much more up to the task. Worth remembering the required reinforcing underneath too. 

More than once, I think.  The basic and not terribly robust type were replaced by ET with their lock and fold type over a  decade ago, probably about 15 years, but they looked more akin to something you’d see next to the wheel chair bay on a public bus.  The type the do now is more recent and more in the style of LR.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 12:38 PM, Anderzander said:

Ahh they have a new design … and my god the price has gone up. 

https://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/seating/defender-load-area/loc-and-fold-right-hand.html

Blimey that’s super expensive. And that’s how much it costs for each. Im gonna see if there’s any online that may suit for about £1000 for 2 seats. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, Snagger said:

I used a pair of Defender front seats for the second row, with 2mm steel sheet “tins” acting as the inboard legs and the outboard rail bolted to the existing but reinforced wheel boxes.  Work well and have the same head room and leg space as using the folding late Defender rear seats.  If you use captive fixings, or better still, a quick release system, then you would retain the load bay flexibility. http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/only-a-few-jobs-left-to-do/

I had the old Exmoor folding rear seats, but they are narrow and, when mounted as intended, are difficult to access or even lock the legs or backs in position.  Their seat belt geometry was dire, too.  Because of all that, I moved them outboard with the hinges set on 1/2” plinths to allow the base frame to clear the wheel box.  Sorted all of the issues except for head room for adults, but they were later sold off as they just didn’t get used enough.

That looks pretty good actually. Only thing is would it be sturdy for 2 young children? I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old

This is the first type of lock and fold … the one that …

On 9/7/2023 at 5:16 AM, Snagger said:

looked more akin to something you’d see next to the wheel chair bay on a public bus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334900442117?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dReaK7aVT9u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=8IVqfH45Rgq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:30 PM, Lockylockwood said:

That looks pretty good actually. Only thing is would it be sturdy for 2 young children? I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old

It is ample for adults, let alone kids.  They are standard front seats, mounted more robustly than LR did, using 3mm marine grade alloy for the entire floor and wheel arch tops with 5mm spreader plates for the fixings.

Big spreaders were used for the belts mounts, too, with SIII front seat belt lower anchors (the triangular type that bolt to the door sill and B-pillar) inverted atop the roof gutter to give far V8 enter geometry than the usually employed diagonal anchor intended for front seat shoulder mounts (way too low for seats mounted in the rear as they are higher and usually well inboard).  I used 12.8 M8 bolts instead of the standard 8.8 M5 or M6.  Those mounts aren’t going anywhere.

• Like 1