LT 95 Fairey overdrive (Devon) reconditioning

Gazzar

The journey/mission to make up a good Overdrive is Neverending, isn't it?! Given the rarity of parts I really do think that the best we can do is just that, malke one up from the best old bits we can find. And, as such, what you've cobbled together isn't too bad, all things considered. The only other real option is the planetary overdrive, at about 4000 quid. Would be great but way out of my reach. And so I'll build my Fairey with the best bits I can get, then run it. As a precaution I'll heed Snaggers advice to carry the cover, and drive gear, in my toolbox. AND, fit magnets to transfer sump and OD drain plugs, and change OD and transfer oil very regularly - 1000kms?? That is a precaution because the worn OD gears will produce filings that, over time, might produce premature wear in transfer box.

Onwards and upwards, lads  😀 

I change transmission oils at every 10,000 miles (engine at 5000).  That is ample.  The other precautions are plenty.  The best thing you can do though, is just have some sympathy and not be overly aggressive with the pedals.  It’s shock loads that do the most harm, so if you can ease the clutch out and smoothly increase the throttle, the loadings will be significantly kinder to the entire transmission.

• Like 1

Nearly! Only for the input gear, it's in perfect shape.

Selector lever mechanism refurb.

IMG_20240325_160139.jpg

IMG_20240325_162207.jpg

IMG_20240325_161725.jpg

IMG_20240325_163838.jpg

Selecting the best for the rebuild. This will have to be connected to a home made bracket and a Bowden cable to the cab. Probably a bracket on the transfer case, similar to the high-low bracket.

IMG_20240325_173204.jpg

IMG_20240325_173156.jpg

IMG_20240325_173150.jpg

IMG_20240325_160145.jpg