LT 95 Fairey overdrive (Devon) reconditioning

Gazzar

That does mostly look ok, but the lay shaft should not be run in that condition.  Have a word with Nige (hybrid from hell) - he might be able to make it serviceable with some treatment in his polishing machine.  I think it’ll howl, whatever you do with it.  A replacement would be best, if you can find one.

I suspect a ball bearing escaped a race and did all that damage.

It seems that all these overdrives fail re the input gear and layshaft? All parts are available except those. And the clutch sleeve...

I'll look at options re the layshaft. They seem even harder to find than the input gear? I guess I can use it if desperate, despite the noise. It's the risk of it being too weak, and stripping teeth, that worries me. And if I'm fortunate enough to find an input gear, would hate for layshaft to damage it. I'll follow up your suggestion re Nige. 

Looking at the circular chips, it would certainly seem like a ball has done that damage. Just not sure from where as from what I can see, the only ball bearing is the really big one behind input gear.

• Like 1

Yep, I found a guy who used to make the layshaft and input gears, but he's retired.

Evolution/heritage aka Craig Cunningham used to get a lot of bits made, but his supplier went bust, and the specifications were lost. Not looking good for older Landrovers at the moment.

No, it isn't. I'll look into what can be done with my laygear. Between that and there hopefully being a usable input gear in your spares, I might at least be able to get the thing operational.

The cost of having new gears made would be, I beleive, prohibitive. More, probably, than what that lovely planetary gear OD from Australia would cost. 

Not surprising. I think I'll just have to use my laygear as it is, maybe get it cleaned up a bit, at best. My understanding is you may have a spare input gear, but definitely not laygear... If my laygear were all chipped the OD would be rubbish I'd say.

Wish I could afford that Australian one.

Every now and then I think about making one of these from new. Then I remember I'm broke and have no engineering skill....

It's true. Sure: I can design and fabricate a bracket, or figure out if something will break, probably. But when it comes to helical gears, I couldn't probably even draw one anymore. Two years of tech drawing at secondary school does NOT an engineer make. 

I beg to differ. I suspect you've more hands on experience than I do. I spend far too much time polishing a chair for a living ......

Anyway, I'm off to get another overdrive tomorrow. If this is junk then I'll put in the best layshaft I've got and call it done.

• Like 1

Join the club guys. I too have dreams of doing this, doing that. And then money, and time, neither of which there is much of, dictate otherwise. 

I'm going to run thd layshaft I have, of I have too. It's probably sbout the same as the one you have there, Gazzar. So I'd think you'll get away with it. As Snaggar wisely says, have spares on hand 24/7 lol

Fingers crossed that OD you're collecting has the goods you need.

Here's the old girl mine is going in...

20240227_180105.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I spend far too much time polishing a chair for a living ......

That may be so......however from what I'm witnessing, you have great skills / knowledge

I know some so called engineers that don't have a patch on you.......truly

Regards Stephen

11 minutes ago, Dan John said:

Join the club guys. I too have dreams of doing this, doing that. And then money, and time, neither of which there is much of, dictate otherwise. 

I'm going to run thd layshaft I have, of I have too. It's probably sbout the same as the one you have there, Gazzar. So I'd think you'll get away with it. As Snaggar wisely says, have spares on hand 24/7 lol

Fingers crossed that OD you're collecting has the goods you need.

Here's the old girl mine is going in...

20240227_180105.jpg

That's a nice tidy looking truck

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

That's a nice tidy looking truck

Regards Stephen

Cheers Stephen

Definitely been built on a budget - painted myself etc. But really happy with it.

• Like 1

Thank you. I've had probably 10 different landies over the years. Still own the first one I built, as a teenager. Not road worthy, but in good nick. Painted it with a brush and house paint!

I'd love to see yours - a 101 I beleive? Very few of those over here. Great axles in those things! Salisbury up front as well?

Yet another overdrive.

IMG_20240316_152245.thumb.jpg.58d9333768b48459b48f1043f957eab1.jpg

I'll strip this Monday morning, see what I've got. It does turn. And very little play....

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Yet another overdrive.

IMG_20240316_152245.thumb.jpg.58d9333768b48459b48f1043f957eab1.jpg

I'll strip this Monday morning, see what I've got. It does turn. And very little play....

It's a nervous wait! All the best. Thanks for the link to the build thread, Gazzar. I'll read with interest. Ah, yes, bees. I recently went to look at a safari body, only to find I couldn't get near it due to the nest of hornets living in between the main roof and safari skin!