Androids, iPads and other gizmos - or 'why is Garmin so controlling' (rugged GPS/OBD/etc)

Just now, simonr said:

You'll be hard pressed to find a tablet of phone not made in China!   Best case you only have a choice of American or Chinese spyware - but in most cases, I suspect you get both!

Agreed! I mean more the obviously China branded ones like 'Good times tablet inc.' etc.

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

Agreed! I mean more the obviously China branded ones like 'Good times tablet inc.' etc.

Collect your tinfoil hat at the door 😉.

I agree - but spyware is so pervasive, it's no longer a case of 'if', just 'who'.  It's so unavoidable, it's barely worth worrying about as there's little you can do that will make a real difference.

• Like 1

Just now, simonr said:

Collect your tinfoil hat at the door 😉.

I agree - but spyware is so pervasive, it's no longer a case of 'if', just 'who'.  It's so unavoidable, it's barely worth worrying about as there's little you can do that will make a real difference.

As you say, it is just a matter of who these days.

• 4 weeks later...

To wrap up MY involvement in the SP8, GPS, and Memory Map aspects ....

The SP8 would find, name, and connect my HOLOX GPS receiver, but then dropped the connection after 10 seconds.
Connection could only be re-established if I first removed / deleted the receiver from the SP8.
Obviously a non-working 'solution'.

After some trial and error I realised the GPS Receiver connection was being grabbed / maintained by my SP4, which, with a large external screen,  is currently in use as my house PC'
Having removed / deleted this SP4 connection, and the SP8 connection, plus switching off the receiver, I then proceeded with a 'virgin' connection to the SP8.
I set the SP8 to seek a new Bluetooth device, which it reported as an Unknown Device.
I then switched the receiver on, the SP8 identified it as 'BT541', as expected. Connection was maintained for more than 10 seconds, so I started Memory Map. Once I had reset the MM comm port setting to '3' the system seems to work, but will wait until tomorrow for a mobile test.

Regards.