Solid state relay for TD5 fuel pump?

Filbee

Hi folks,

Has anyone fitted a solid state relay for the fuel pump in a TD5?

If so, which make/model of relay did you go for?

The reason for asking is that I'm still having intermittent issues with the fuel pump relay on my TD5 110.

On a fairly regular basis I'll go to start it and neither the glow plug or engine warning light will come on when you turn the key to the pre-start position, and there's no fuel pump whine.

If I give the fuel pump relay a wiggle and try again, the glow plug and engine warning lights come on, the fuel pump primes and she starts straight away.

Last time it happened, I wiggled the relay, started the truck and she cut out again within about 100 yards. I pulled the relay out and put it back in and away we went again, with no further issues for the rest of the journey.

I've put a new yellow relay in it in the recent past but it ends up doing the same after a while. The relay socket connections are good, so I'm pretty sure it's the relay that's the problem.

I thought if I replaced it with a solid state relay it might be more reliable!

Thanks for the replies folks. To answer the questions...

I remade the connections in the relay holder last year (chopped off the last few mm of cable on each wire and crimped new spade terminals on to ensure they were crimped to clean wire)

The relay is a proper yellow OE relay that was new last year.

15 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

SSR is more relyable, but selfmade cables and connectors for the original socket maybe not.

I found only one in car relay style https://www.hoelzle.ch/shop/products/halbleiter-relais-ssr-1224v-10a-ssr311

but very expensive.

I´d recommend a mechanical one and find the real reason for failures. Bad quality? Vibrations?

Ooh, that is a bit expensive! I also think 10A is too low. Isn't the original one rated at 40A?

I measured the current going through the relay a while back with a clamp meter at around 14A if remember correctly. 

2 hours ago, Filbee said:

I measured the current going through the relay a while back with a clamp meter at around 14A if remember correctly. 

Then a 20A SSR is quite the right choice. If you care about the connections and the mounting place, this will work safely