4 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

It plugs into the chassis loom behind the cover in the rear corner of the tub, where the lights wiring is. 

Ah ok 

that means I have the wrong chassis loom for the rear lights,

lights are all perfect tow plug just missing these sockets,

I’ll have to make up a new part loom or something, 

thanks.

I’d have expected the main loom to have the connections if built as a hard top, and most certainly if built as aStation Wagon.  Is it possible that somebody has cut the plugs off and wrapped the wire tails under tape at some point?  If so, that means you’d just need to refit some short tails and plugs, be they standard plugs or an aftermarket type with compatible counterparts installed to the door harness.

Also, that (post-2002) rear door harness will only work with the post-2002 rear wiper switch YUG000350LNF

The rear wiper can be made to work with the earlier rotary switch, or a generic switch, such as Carling, Britax, RDX, etc...

If you want the mating 2-way and 6-way connectors for that harness, I have them on eBay -

DEFENDER TD5 / PUMA - Central Locking, HRW, RWW - Rear Tail Door Connectors

s-l800.jpg

Or, PM me here for a better price.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:21 AM, Snagger said:

I’d have expected the main loom to have the connections if built as a hard top, and most certainly if built as aStation Wagon.  Is it possible that somebody has cut the plugs off and wrapped the wire tails under tape at some point?  If so, that means you’d just need to refit some short tails and plugs, be they standard plugs or an aftermarket type with compatible counterparts installed to the door harness.

So your saying ALL td5 rear looms have the two plugs but just not used if it’s not got rear wiper Say truck cab ect?

On 1/9/2024 at 3:49 PM, Snagger said:

I don’t know if that is the case, but I’d expect the wiring to be there - it simplifies logistics and reduces costs to make single spec looms wherever possible.

From 1983 to 2006, there are hundreds of Chassis Harness part numbers listed, see here -

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/1228/10541/11608/901/11697

It was rationalised from the 2007 Model Year (Tdci Puma) -

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/1235/2632/2910/212/2926

On 1/8/2024 at 9:42 PM, Green200tdi said:

So your saying ALL td5 rear looms have the two plugs but just not used if it’s not got rear wiper Say truck cab ect?

1999 to 2001 TD5 (and 300Tdi RoW) Defenders have the same round 4-pin tail door harness connector as the earlier 300Tdi Defenders.

From 2002, with the introduction of central locking and the revised switching and wiring of the rear wiper, the main connection for the tail door harness changes to the 6-way sealed connector (in my picture above).

Hardtop/Station Wagon vehicles fitted with central locking, additionally, had the 2-way sealed connector (in my picture above) - but, the wiring for this comes down from the roof harness, rather than the chassis harness.

11 hours ago, PaulMc said:

From 1983 to 2006, there are hundreds of Chassis Harness part numbers listed, see here -

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/1228/10541/11608/901/11697

It was rationalised from the 2007 Model Year (Tdci Puma) -

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/1235/2632/2910/212/2926

I shouldn’t be surprise.  My 95 RRC loom had the wiring for the electric seats, including heaters, heated front screen, auxiliary lighting, AC and the CD changer despite none of those items being fitted as a single loom is cheaper and simpler to deal with than a myriad of different versions on the line.  It only lacked some of the wiring for EAS (presumably separate sub-looms).  But LR is not known for consistency, so while looms would have changes a little over the years from the introduction of the earliest 110s to the end of the Defender, I am disappointed but not entirely surprised if the main loom differed even with a model year.  Any competent manufacturer would have a set main loom and vary the sub-looms that attach to it according to vehicle spec.