Fuel draining back

Got a 300 tdi defender 90 and the fuel seems to be draining back to the tank over night as its a pain to start in the mornings but if i pump the fuel up on the lift pump before attempting to start its fine, any ideas? lift pump maybe? i have checked for leaks but cannot see any.

could be the lift pump diaphragm is split & allowing fuel to drian back through. only way to tell for certain is to change the lift pump 7 see if it happens after the change.

Either diaphragm or valves in lift pump or air entering elsewhere. The pumps usually start to go when they reach about 100k miles. Even a genuine one is not expensive (£40 IIRC) so if yours is a high miler might be worth changing.

Pump ERR5057, gasket ERR2028, also need nuts x2 NRC 9770 and olives x2 NRC9771

Either diaphragm or valves in lift pump or air entering elsewhere. The pumps usually start to go when they reach about 100k miles. Even a genuine one is not expensive (£40 IIRC) so if yours is a high miler might be worth changing.

Pump ERR5057, gasket ERR2028, also need nuts x2 NRC 9770 and olives x2 NRC9771

She's just coming up to 95K, will get a pump in the morning and see how it goes.

Thanks

Careful Ralph...

Someone else doing your part numbers job here...

I recon you either need to fight it out in the quick draw round or just rest easy, let it slide and have a good time.. :)

haven't got the energy for a fight :lol: reckon bazza will only need the lift pump & gaskets, I've never changed the tube nuts or olives on my much higher mileage 200Tdi [yes I know bazza's is a 300Tdi] :D

Hi Bazza

Why dont you by-pass the Lift pump and install an Electric

Initially I had both installed & in the end went for the electric

Up side

- Motor doesnt have to turn over to bring the fuel up from the pump

- The motor will fire up most mornings even without heat (ambient temp 5 down to minis 2c) at the moment jan

- less wear & tear on your Starter motor - most morning the motor 300tdi will fire in about a turn of the motor!

- because on Av you're pumping more fuel than needed the returned "warmer fuel" via the return pipe will keep your fuel in general, warmer

- as you pumping from the tank-end of the system rather than drawing the fuel right through the system - the chances of drawing air is reduced

down side

- if you have no juice in the battery you may have encounter problems although to date I have had no problem even with a flatfish battery as the pump takes away the need to turn the motor over as long.

- a replacement lift pump is about 18 quid whereas a electric is about min of 40

On mine I have a pump on the main tank pumping through a in-line heater & on to the main filter

& a 2nd to bring fuel from the 2nd tank to the main tank

A bit of overkill although I got tired of cleaning the carp out of the military tank switch which used to feed the main fuel pump

happy trails

abe

haven't got the energy for a fight :lol: reckon bazza will only need the lift pump & gaskets, I've never changed the tube nuts or olives on my much higher mileage 200Tdi [yes I know bazza's is a 300Tdi] :D

Only got the numbers to hand cos I did this job a few months ago... :P . On a 300Tdi, the nuts and olives will be trapped on the old pump pipe stubs ( like when you undo a domestic plumbing compression joint) so you need new ones.

do you not put the pipes back in?

ie just a new pump?

Nope, if someone posts a pic of the pipes it will be obvious, the nylon pipe is heat shrunk over one part of the union, it literally is like a mini double ended compression joint.