Are RV8's really that good?

FridgeFreezer

There's reliability, which is not really in question with the likes of the LS, but there's also damage. Accidents do happen, and that's where one's wallet can come under heavy fire.

For example, consider hydraulicing the lump and the cost of sorting it out.

So we have established that the LS1 does float your boat but not your wallet. Fine, can see your point.

So what about the ones i previously suggested;

BMW V8(mid 90's 530/540),

Merc V8( s class 500in a G500 stylie)

or one of the

Volvo straight six lumps, 2.5 or 3.0 24v from a 960?

You could even throw a 6cyl Merc petrol into the equation,

yes expensive when go bang but whole cars are dirt cheap.

All on ebay/ freeads/ paper for 500 squid!!

good point Steve - I guess range would also limit activity during harvest, if its a 100acre field it may be too far from the nearest wood collection point..

why are you going to hydraulic John? ask Stig to demonstrate the "king karp wave parting Fu" he does it with beer pretty well, I buy it and only ever see half of it :( how much is a rover crank if it goes pete tong? just found a forged LS1 on eblag for $700, LS1 pushrods are $35 a set new,

Scooby lump? Fraud V6 ?

So what about the ones i previously suggested;

I'm not mega keen on Mercs, don't know why just never liked 'em. BMW lumps I need to look into I think, that way I can pick my cousin's brains about them. A six would be more historically accurate (tis a restoration you know :ph34r: ) but you've got to love a V8 sound track. :wub:

With cost being part of the criteria surely a cast iron SBC would be better than an LS1? They are cheap, strong and powerful. The last two I have bought were £200 and £500, one in a complete car, the other with an overfinch transmission.

My race engine is a 1969 vintage and just having a +60 bore. It was in a racer before I had it too. I've hydrauliced it and nothing bent.

I know the LS1 is a little lighter but a 109 isn't exactly a Kate Moss to start off with.

Obviously trans Continental high flying challenge types can run to LS1s ;)

...... A six would be more historically accurate (tis a restoration you know :ph34r: ) but you've got to love a V8 sound track. :wub:

in that case how about a nice 2.6 lump, and if you're having trouble finding the right axles i have a couple of them floating about too

swap 'em for the 4.6 and those strange portal things you've got :ph34r: Can even throw in a gramophone recording of a v8 if you want