Heater hot air distribution

My vehicle is a LHS 1991 110 CSW originally with 3.5V8 and LT77S g’box but now with a 300Tdi and R380.

I’m rebuilding the dash and I’ve got the two screen demisters installed on the plenum, which also supplies the face level vents in the dash, but I’m at a loss regarding the left hand end of the plenum.  It ends with a slightly upturned outlet that is 53mm I/D and 60mm O/D.  What is supposed to go onto this?  Although I tried to make a text record of everything I removed , and a photo of a lot of the bits, I’ve no record of removing anything from here, which perhaps explains why the demisters never really worked!  

Please can anybody throw any light on this open end.

Mike

The plenum should have a big rubber grommet in each demister tube hole. These have a neck about 1-1.5” long to locate and seal (ish) the bottom of the flexible hoses to the demister vent necks.

I’m pretty sure that the Defender demister necks fit in the same way as the SIII in having the passenger side neck vertical but the driver side neck point towards the centre of the dash, as this makes space for the wiring and speedo cable and the end of the plenum is inboard of the demister mounting position.

There weren’t any face level vents.  Are you fitting a Puma dash?

On 3/6/2024 at 6:03 AM, Snagger said:

There weren’t any face level vents.  Are you fitting a Puma dash?

Or the early type air con dash? They have face level (ish) vents.