Soft top seat belt mount

As summer is here looking to put the bikini soft top back on however I need to find a home for the seat belt mounts. I have a rear hoop roll cage and I think that will be in the way of the cross bar the exmoor trim seat belt bar has. Any other suggests ? I did see mention of a wolf hoop that has the seat belt mounts included but I can’t find anything. 

The Wolf hood will be very, very expensive, as are sought after.

If you have a roll hoop already, what's stopping you getting something welded to that to bolt the top mount to?

What sort of cage do you have? Are you looking to retain or change it?

Could you add a bracket, either bolted or welded to your existing cage to mount the seatbelts?

Not the best pic, but you can just see some plates on the main hoop that we bolted the upper belt too:

image.thumb.png.35a34674e78fb08752fb23f236d509a9.png

If you after a new hoop, this one comes with upper belt mounts:

https://www.purelymetal.co.uk/set-of-heavy-duty-hood-sticks-for-a-defender-90/

Thanks that’s a good link. In terms of an I looking to change or retain the cage probably goes to the heart of where I am Land Rover wise. I would like to keep some cage as play days are an option but I am looking at the Land Rover and thinking where do I want to go from here. What do I enjoy doing with it. The truck cab I’m finding a bit restrictive for leg room and soft top is more fun. I am good with putting a bracket on but would want to be reassured that’s safe enough. 

I have had the bikini top on with this cage but had harnesses at the time so wasn’t an issue for seat belts. Changed the seats now so needs to be seat belts.

IMG_8176.jpeg.237049f2d93fd892ce12fe167b5750ff.jpeg

Posted (edited)

For an idea I have just fitted this to my 110 before ordering a bikini kit.   It's a Safety Devices set up.  

All the best

IMG_20240117_153655_503.jpg

IMG_20240117_153703_163.jpg

IMG_20240117_153717_357.jpg

IMG_20240117_154137_513.jpg

Edited by Ohlins
  • Like 3

That’s great that looks like it could fit with the cage. Does it allow for the seats to go back a touch more ? One of the reasons for soft top is to get a bit more seat room vs the truck cab.

Why not fit the soft top truck cab and then make a decent bracket that either clamps around or welds to the rear hoop upright and pokes through the corner of the soft top inside the hood stick for the top seatbelt anchor point.

I would be good with a bracket that bolts on but would want to be sure it was (over) engineered to take the seat belt load.  

I would welcome suggestions on how to approach that..

maybe a bar all the way across bent round at both ends ? Legally is it just a securely mounted requirement ?

IMG_8175.thumb.jpeg.716123694086b28b0c9f181bbd53a161.jpeg

I would probably make the bracket out of some 8mm and then make a saddle about 3" across that clamps around the upright with 4 M8 bolts.  Similar to the half clamps you see on bolt together roll cages from safety devices.

Posted (edited)

So it is almost directly in lane with the cage a clamp extending forward but not too much I bash my head in it would do the job. If I CAD this is there an engineering firm that could make me two ?

yes it’s a metric only ruler for my 1.5 inch diameter roll cage.  Looks like I would want to come forwards about 20cm to the mount position. May a bit less to move it back a touch. 

IMG_8232.jpeg.2be52080197396fb7ad3f72bd209132b.jpegIMG_8231.jpeg.a565a9bd54fd908eeec724fdc37b435f.jpeg

Edited by mad_pete

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 11:48 AM, mad_pete said:

That’s great that looks like it could fit with the cage. Does it allow for the seats to go back a touch more ? One of the reasons for soft top is to get a bit more seat room vs the truck cab.

No...the bulkhead stops the seats being any further back