Disco 1 V8 Oil Light - Cam Change Time

Hi All,

Just had a bad experience whilst driving up to my workshop. At low revs as the lane is more of a green lane really the oil light started flickering the went full glow!

I've been watching the oil light over the last few months taking a bit longer to go out and the top end quieten down, but now it's time to stop using it.

My question is would the cam going on it's own cause complete lack of oil pressure? The oil switch is fairly new and no there is no point checking it as the engine sounds like a bag of hammers.

I'm thinking it's full rebuild time, in which case I'm going to have to sell it, as I need a working vehicle and not another project as I'm rammed with toys to fix.

Last question is can I put a full truck in the 'For Sale' section or is it just for parts?

The truck has currently got 6 months MOT left - No advisories for the past 2 years.

Thanks in advance

Baden

disco pic1.jpg

disco pic2.jpg

disco pic3.jpg

disco pic4.jpg

disco pic5.jpg

disco pic6.jpg

disco pic7.jpg

Cam on a V8 wouldn't normally cause a massive oil pressure loss, if it's not leaking externally then I'd suggest it's more likely to be crank/big end bearings. 

If it sounds like a bag of spanners then it does sound like it is running with very low oil pressure, and the lifters are not pumping up properly. 

I presume you have checked the oil level.... 

You can sell whole vehicles on the forum, many have. 

• Like 2

Hi Bowie69,

This was my fear really and not just cam, oil checked, clean and up to mark, not using any oil and exhaust good.

I change the oil on all my trucks every 5000 miles or yearly with VR1 Valvoline.

This truck has wanted for nothing and although I've kept it fairly standard looking from the outside it has has all the goodies underneath which I will list and post photos in the for sale section. I've even got a spare HC 3.5 24D engine that needs a rebuild and could be included for a few more beer tokens.

Kind regards

Baden

Thanks for response guys, gave the engine a can of Wynns Oil Supercharge and not even a flicker on the oil light, so needs a total rebuild by the noise it's making. So I've stopped messing about and have given it a good clean up and polish inside and out.

Those wheels and tyres are going onto my Range Rover Classic so will be fitting with the original Disco wheels and Insa Turbo Dakar's.

Once ready I'll take some more pictures and list all the good and bad points (not many bad ones apart from the damn engine).

I'll then post it in the For Sale Section once it's ready.

Cheers

Baden