Series One 1955 86" New fuel pump, and coil

Oakmaster

My much loved Series One 1955 86"  has been a bit neglected as Ive not been in the best of health.

It appears that it needs a new fuel pump, (I have repaired/had it repaired a couple of times, and some previous owner had given it a beating (a chunk of the bakelite housing is missing)

I do want to restore it, but more importantly, I want to get it running, and enjoy it over the rest of the summer.  The original pump can be repaired over the winter.

It has recently had a thorough service - but I'm not confident in the coil.  (points plugs capacitor etc seem fine)

I need a recommendation for a fuel pump (economical) and a new coil (ideally a bit more sparky)  and a recommendation for a supplier, who can deliver along with some fuel line, and an in-line fuel filter.

Thanks in anticipation

Bill

Hello 👋🏻 

The series one club shop does points and condensers- don’t think they do coils or fuel pumps, but worth a look. They tend to only stock things their members tell them are half decent.

Charles Emberton does a coil that lots of people seem to be buying. Another option is John Wearing, who does Rover P4 parts and of course things likes coils are common to the Land Rovers. I have dealt with John Wearing and they were really good with me.

No, Quite the opposite - Facet was the 1st thing that came to mind, I was wondering what spec?  Pressure PSI   flow rate etc  did anyone have a specific recommendation?

Also were there alternatives?  Same with the coil.  

I'm on a budget (having been off sick) and will also need to buy insurance and a new tilt

Thanks for the input

Cheers 

9 minutes ago, Oakmaster said:

No, Quite the opposite - Facet was the 1st thing that came to mind, I was wondering what spec?  Pressure PSI   flow rate etc  did anyone have a specific recommendation?

It's a carb so it's low pressure, and given the mighty horsepower of the thing almost any old facet carb-type pump will likely do the job.

Coils are fairly simple & interchangeable old things too, other than the correct terminal type you want to check the resistance of the coil so it's not overloading the points, too low a resistance and you'll burn the points out (or fit an electronic ignition amplifier).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, rusty_wingnut said:

I hear this a lot regarding the series 1 fuel pump - and the age old argument about replacing it. I rebuilt the original pump using new parts, and set the contacts properly, and in some fifteen years of sporadic use have not had to beat the life out of the pump to get it working.....

I agree - we have rebuilt it (to a lesser degree - which included trying to re-assemble the bakelite casing which had already had the life beaten out of it!)

Now I just want to get it going!  I understand that the full re-build kits are no longer available - so will use a cheapo for an interim fix.