Aston Martin DB 1490

Ok so not quite an Aston but close enough! This story starts with me searching for an 80-90hp tractor that was suitable to be fitted to a hedge cutter/flail and importantly cheap as I have spent all the machinery budget for the house on other tractors/diggers already. As with many things the solution presented itself during a conversation in the pub. A friend of mine had a David Brown 1490 that had not been used since the farm was contracted out 23 years ago at which point the tractor was parked up in a barn. 3 years ago the space it was taking up was needed for something else and it was towed outside.

We agreed a price conditional on me being able to get it running. This is how I found her

IMG-20240518-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.eca8ef4e2635fa9eb7e392ac022beb41.jpeg

Nothing over the exhaust (bonnet was on when I arrived), one front tyre with a big hole in. My mate had put some diesel in and filled up with coolant but not been able to get to turn over.

At this point I fitted a good battery, cleaned up the earth points, added an earth directly from battery to starter and cleaner up the terminal clamps before refitting. We then had a nice solid clonk from the solenoid but would not turn over

At this point I then completed a high level run through of what it needed to be usable and what it needed to be able to be moved plus had an initial attempt at some smaller jobs to see if they were easy wins

Clutch/gears - Gear levers freed off and clutch working. It would drive back and forwards!

Brakes - To the floor, unable to get fluid through to slaves. Ordered master cylinder repair kits

PTO - Lever stuck

Hyd arms - Lever stuck

4x4 Control - Lever stuck

Spool values - Levers stuck

Electric - Nothing working except a single indicator on the back

Steering - Working but a little stiff

Front axle - UJ required for front prop and front right wheel bearing to be adjusted/replaced

Tyres - Front right had a 6 inch tear and the front left not much better

The only critical item to get onto the low loader was the front tyres. I tried to find some usable 11.2 R24 second hand but they are quite an odd size, most 4wd tractors this size use R28 on the front and anything that does use R24 tend to be much wider. I had to stick with the right size for the gear ratio to the back tyres.

Cue some brand new BKT . Pictures speak a thousand words as they say…

20240622_142115.thumb.jpg.01b170e4bddb2ca4876fd9e72b7a20fb.jpgIMG-20240622-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.bdbdb002384cf4e88aaabc78175fce13.jpeg

• Like 1

As regards freeing stuff off, I have been battling with swapping the handbrake cables on a Toyota. There was a clip bolted to the body right next to the fuel tank on both sides, and I was scared to use heat so close to the tank and grinding would have been really awkward to get at it even with a finger file or a die grinder.  On one side the bolt was well stuck. I tried Plusgas over a couple of days, no joy so like you tried the 505:50 acetone/ATF which seems popular. Still no joy. It was a 12mm head on an M8 self-tapping bolt and by this time was getting seriously rounded, as I could only get a ring key or fine nose mole grips on it. Finally I managed just to get an oriental Irwin extractor copy (with a ratchet ring on the hex of the extractor) on to it , and tried to turn, again stuck. I'm nearly out of ideas and Plusgas and have bought that in gallon cans which seem unavailable now, so looked for an alternative and found a lot of praise for Bulldog BDX. So, I took the plunge and bought 5 litres (not cheap). I sprayed it on and next day (to my amazement) the bolt came out as if it had just been put in.  The BDX seems a bit oilier, and I have to say did the job (though I admit it might have been the cumulative effect of the other stuff).

• Like 1

Next up I drained all the fluids with the exception of the fresh coolant and diesel. There were certainly some mixed results. I don't think servicing was high up on the list prior to stopping being used!

Front axle oil - just a touch of water mixed with the oil but at least there was plenty in there. I have not drained the hubs yet as the wheels need to come off to do it

image.thumb.jpeg.175f794d2c8447a22f1cb677e84ec123.jpeg

Engine oil - plenty in there, fairly thick and black but does not have a metallic film on it

Power steering oil - The ATF in here looked and had the consistency of coca cola. I think fresh fluid and a filter change will dramatically improve the steering

Rear final drives - Certainly should have been more than an egg cup ful in each of those...not making nasty noises though

Back end oil - Only 7l came out which was what I was expecting as it was put in the shed when a pipe burst (I can't currently identify the leak) It was very clean and the filter completely intact which is unusual. No bits of swarf in the filter housing either. Not so good was the rear of the two drain bungs below the diff - something has certainly hit it. I have a suspicion that the front and rear bungs are the wrong way round as the rear one is much taller and means it is getting close to the diff. This will need the threads cleaned up in any case before it gets refitted

image.thumb.jpeg.b846e9eb5a5144e3c15e80e0dbc49cd9.jpeg14901.thumb.jpg.305698c386a46233cb3c69c9a2eb6113.jpg

This was back on Tuesday evening, I have left everything draining and plan to change filters and refill everything tomorrow

• Like 1

Following with interest. Nice to see progress on the old girl!

I have a 1490 hydro with a front loader that has stood unused outside [exhaust covered] for the last 3-4 years. When I was taken seriously ill I repeatedly asked the family to occasionally start and use the 1490 - but for reasons unknown I guess they were somewhat more interested in my terminal diagnosis and when they would needed to order a wooden box with brass handles for moi. In the end the tractor lay idle, clutch slave leaked, all the fluid was lost  and despite having a new master, reservoir  and slave here and the dash out to replace the thing has not had the attention it deserves and rests in a bed of nettles. 

• Like 1