To the Pyrenees... by ambulance! Recommendations please!

FridgeFreezer

Looks like my better half has settled on a little jaunt down to the Pyrenees in late September in the ambulance - I suspect in no small part because it means we can add a Spain & Andorra sticker to the new extended sticker board :lol:

A search back through the forum shows this is a pretty popular trip for folks here so I'm seeking your wisdom on places to visit, things to see, roads to drive (or avoid) and all that sort of thing.

I note there's a strong recommendation for the Vibraction road books / guides although the ambulance (and the passenger... and the beer cupboard) do not necessarily want to be venturing very far off-road so I don't know if these are worth looking at or not? Some gentle gravel tracks could be a nice detour especially if there's a good view or a nice lunch spot at the end of it but we're not scrabbling up any goat tracks in a 3-ton wobbly box :lol:

So - share your adventures / misadventures and of course photos if you've got them!

I'm tagging @Peaklander here as your thread provides great inspiration - you mention a blog with more info & waypoints but I'm not seeing a link - care to share with the class? :P

• Like 1

I don't remember much in the Vibraction books for Northern Spain that would be any problem in the ambulance. I did several days with no clutch pedal after the slave blew a seal.

The only thing that sticks in my mind was a couple of very narrow villages where even the Goldie 110 was a bit too big for comfort.

@FridgeFreezer The blog you mention is a holiday record going back to the first year with our Landy, 2015.

We’ve been twice to the Pyrenees, once in 2018 and the blog entries start here. Then in 2022 and the entries are from here.

You’ll see a reference twice to the campsite at Bujaruelo . It’s stunning.

It’s too late this evening to write more in here but the blog might help. I notice that I didn’t  use any labels for Pyrenees. That would have been better!

I should just add that on neither trip were the Pyrenees the main course, so I don’t know that my entries will be much use.

• Thanks 1

S'funny, I thought, why is @miketomcat posting pictures of a D3?... Then I remembered that it's mine :blush:

I think that was on the run up to the glacier to find some summer snow. I remember the reservoir at the end, but not exactly where it was.

Edited by TSD
lost internet
  • Haha 3