200TDi without turbo

jes88

Does a 200TDi work fine without turbo and intercooler ?

My 2.25 D in my S3 is getting old and needs a replacement, but I don't feel the need of power, just the stability of the 200TDi engine - that is 200Di if possible :-)

It would be nice to go to the UK, pick a Disco with a 200 or 300 TDi and bring it home for dismantling - since 200TDis are hard to come by here in Denmark.

Regards

Jes Ramsing.

since you have to do work on engine mounts and shifting things like battery holders around it wouldn't make much sense to then give up and not fit the turbo IMHO.

Steve Parker does an exhaust pipe for discos which allows fitment into defenders and presumably series which saves reinventing the wheel, it's about £100 or so, makes the job a bit easier.

I think you would find that disco rad and itntercooler would fit across the front of the series (maybe, I think the defender width between wings is the same) but you would probably need to shift the grill forward, though in your neck of the woods you could bin the viscous unit getting back quite a few cm's of space which might save the forward moving.

You might find a disco with 1 months mot and bound to fail on body work for about £500 here in the UK which would allow you to collect and drive back?

It's not a five minute job to do this, we considered something similar for our series 3, but couldn't be bothered with the work involved as we don't plan on keeping it.

Tonk on here will fill you in on all the details of fitting Tdis to series - it's all doable but you need time and energy.

having driven my Tdi disco with a boost hose blown off the easy answer is NO. it got to the revs when the turbo was ment to start boosting & wouldnt go faster. so i was limited to about 2,000rpm. i think you'd have to raise the compression & probably get a custom cam to make it run right.

having driven my Tdi disco with a boost hose blown off the easy answer is NO. it got to the revs when the turbo was ment to start boosting & wouldnt go faster. so i was limited to about 2,000rpm. i think you'd have to raise the compression & probably get a custom cam to make it run right.

That might have something to do with the fact that the exhaust side of the turbo was still taking power to spin, it would be like restricting the tail pipe on a 2.5na.

There is a pipe on the turbo that goes to the pump carrying boost pressure presumbly to put more fuel in as boost increases and therefore i dont see how when the turbo is removed the pump would put anymore fuel in. Maybe a 12j intector pump would be needed? but i would say if your getting a 200 leave the turbo on it'll make a massive difference.

Steve Parker does an exhaust pipe for discos which allows fitment into defenders and presumably series which saves reinventing the wheel

Doesn't fit the series without mods although he took a copy of the one I did for mine and was going to market it. Don't know if he did though

I think you would find that disco rad and itntercooler would fit across the front of the series
Sorry no, the steering box gets in the way - you have to split the intercooler from the rad and put it infront somewhere (there is room). Throw away the fan and cut the boss off , replacing with an electric one to give you the space. Use a 300 intercooler too - less cutting and welding.

There's lots of threads on the forums about doing this conversion - it's not that bad.

Guest dew110CSW

Easiest way would be to source a Defender front I assume - seen many a tdi Series with the Defender nose fitted. And if you want a Turbo-less TDi surley a 2.5 NAD is the obvious choice???

Thanks for correcting that Matt, I had forgot about the position of the steering box on the series.

Out of interest, is it the mating to the series gearbox that causes the exhaust fouling the bulkhead to be different? Would fitting an LT77 remove the problem?

I thought defender and series bulkheads were pretty much the same?

Out of interest, is it the mating to the series gearbox that causes the exhaust fouling the bulkhead to be different? Would fitting an LT77 remove the problem?

It cleared bulkhead fine, it hit the chassis rail instead. I had to really mod the bend to get it too fit and then make a new bottom bend to hook up with Steve's exhaust. Looks great now though and I have a 'proper' TDI silencer.

I just about to add an LT77 now