warn xp motor

gsr341

hi

was out playing last nite (in the snow)

after getting a bit stuck in a bit of a drift :rolleyes: i winched my self through , no problems as it should

then when the two zukis in front got stuck in a drift thurther up the lane , i pulled them bouth back (together)

i had just pulled them up to me , stoped winching , went to winch out to release the cable tension and nothing , got out tryed my external controls , same , could hear the albright clicking but nothing , happing

put the rope back on by hand and the poor litle zook had to haul my lardy landy back through the 30' of 4' deep snow up hill , took over 2 hours to get all 3 of us unstuck , up on top of the wayfarer in the dark :huh:

any how back home to night ive , put a meeter on eack of the terminals on the motor and can get power from the allbright to each pole on the motor winching in or out , but still no motor movement ?

any one gota a better way for me to test the motor

history :

warn 8274 fully rebuilt

drilled and tapped main shaft , warn 6 hp xp motor (which has run for a total of 15 mins ever :angry: )

any help appriciated guys or my rear winch gets robbed before i even fit it

snowwinch.jpg

snowpic.jpg

edited to add the pics

try this

Warn Motor Testing Procedure

If you find yourself in a situation where your winch is clicking but it is not working, you may have a motor problem or you may have a solenoid problem. The following procedure, from Warn, will help you determine the status of your winch motor.

1 Put the winch in freespool.

2 Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

3 Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three posts on the motor.

4 Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be “A ‘~ “F]” and “F2 ~‘.

Run a small jumper wire (5 “-6” dead’ lead, 8 ga. will work just fine) from “A “to “]” and put power from the battery (jumper cables work good) to “F2 “. The winch motor should run in one direction at this time.

5 Next, place the jumper wire from “A” to “F2” and put power from the battery to “F “. The winch motor should run in the opposite direction at this time

If these steps are followed correctly and the motor runs in both directions, the motor is good

Silly, dumb one for you........

Is the motor earthed to the chassis or back to the battery....? It must be earthed back to the battery, no matter what anyone says.

It is very important for good operation.

Also remove the earth and clean the terminal throughly as this could cause the same problem, even if it does look good and tight you'd be suprised.

Jim :)

thwack the motor with a BFH - not hard just a tap, try that a few times. ive had my motor do exactly what yours is doing & a tap cures it. im guessing a bit of dirt in there is making the brushes stick - one day i'll open it up.

thwack the motor with a BFH - not hard just a tap, try that a few times. ive had my motor do exactly what yours is doing & a tap cures it. im guessing a bit of dirt in there is making the brushes stick - one day i'll open it up.

Good point, didn't think of that! Seen it happen before with members at a play day - guy's been winching, motor gets warm is then left and when its cool it doesn't work.

thanks for the advise guys , motor looks like new on the out side , well corroded brushes when stripped :unsure:

is there any thing i can do to waterproof it a bit ? was going to silcon grease the terminals and brush slides etc

Seal between the gearbox and motor and fit a breather to the motor.

Seal between the gearbox and motor and fit a breather to the motor.

You also need to take the end cap of the motor and seal that to with silicone. if you got a breather fitted to the motor you can blow into the breather and check its not leaking anywhere by spraying the motor in a bit of washing up liquid and some water.

The earth on mine has always been onto one of the bolts on the gearbox bell housing and never back to the battery

should I alter it?

opinions please

Tony, a man of your standing in the off road community asking a question like that!

Many people put a lot of effort into getting the + volts to the winch but the return – volts are just as important. In your situation you have a cable running from the winch motor to the bell housing, probably a cable from the bell housing to the chassis? Which means a cable from the chassis to the battery. Even if the bell housing is connected to the battery it’s still a connection too many.

When you think about it if 35 sq mm cable is required to carry the current required by the winch motor each joint has to carry the same current but joints are prone to corrosion so require regular inspection and cleaning.

Ask Fridge, I’m sure he can conjure up some seriously convincing figures. smiley2.gif

While we are on the subject , what preparation would I have to do to weld and earthing bolt /stud to a winch motor housing . As there is no space under the husky to attach the earth cable to the motor.

Motor bodies are thick steel so clean off the paint and weld a bolt to the casing. Make sure your welding earth is connected to the motor body!

yes

I just bolted the earth onto the Husky motor where it was designed to connect to.

Have you let it in Lower Jase? stoping access to the earth bolt thread

I fitted an XP motor to my Husky way back and on this occasion wired the earth back to the battery :)

would the front be ok If I ran a cable to the same stud on the bell housing from the battery earth?

as I have enough cable in the garage to do that.

Or am I being Mr Bodgetastic