Salisbury Axle,Oil in the rear brake drum.

Evening, haven’t had to post in a while thankfully. MOT time and it failed on oil in the rear brake drum. 
so basically my question is, 

Is it the hub seals FRC8222 & FTC2783 that are at fault or is there an oil seal behind the stub axle for the half shaft to seal against? 
I don’t wanna do the hub seals for it to leak a week later. 

Cheers. Charlie 

If your stub axle's and seals are both good it would keep the oil in. Maybe the vent on the axle is clogged? that could one of your problems.    Mot is a good thing..   it's a reminder that you should check it all regularly.  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 8:35 PM, DC_ said:

Evening, haven’t had to post in a while thankfully. MOT time and it failed on oil in the rear brake drum. 
so basically my question is, 

Is it the hub seals FRC8222 & FTC2783 that are at fault or is there an oil seal behind the stub axle for the half shaft to seal against? 
I don’t wanna do the hub seals for it to leak a week later. 

Cheers. Charlie 

They introduced half shaft seals in 1994 for the 300Tdi models, before that the hubs ran wet.  It’s possible that you have oil migrating from the stub axle flange through the bolt holes, but that would be more evident on the back side of the brake back plate.   Significant oil inside the drums is usually the hub seal, stub axle seal land or brake fluid leaking from a damaged slave cylinder.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Sorry, DC, but that is a really frustrating reply.  What was the problem and how did you solve it?

Mike

Apologies, I’ve had some issues in life. 

I replaced the hub seals and checked all bearings which were all good. I reckon the axle breather was at fault so that is all new. Test drives and drives to camp hasn’t raised any issues. 

Again sorry for the lack of info. 

Charlie