Electronic tagging for Land Rovers.....

Guest MJG

can't see this being much use, once everyone has a chip then they would be getting too many hits and wouldn't have a clue about which vehicle had fake plates, as you couldn't guarantee that you weren't picking up tags off camera.

bad piece of research, and reading the report it doesn't surprise me.

Interesting quote from section 1.2 Project Brief Summary

"There is mounting evidence that some

motorists are displaying the wrong VRM in order to evade fines

and charges, resulting in the keepers of the genuine vehicles

associated with that VRM receiving enforcement notices for which

they are not responsible."

If you used this as a defence for a fine the Police and thier website advised that thhis does not happen and that you are wasting your time using this as a defence.

Interestingly Landrover registered two identical RRC with the same VRM, we only found out when my friend got a speeding ticket that he didnot earn (this time anyway) it was only when he got a copy of the photo that he could prove it due to a sticker on the rear of the motor. Up until then the Police would not accept it.

RFID could handle the rate of traffic with no problem, unfortunately (unlike biometric passports) its well proven technology and seriously tough... although being subjected to a reasonably powerful emission without consent would be interesting in the courts should they try and push it through..? Im sure if would help prevent terrorism and protect us all from nasty people - I implicitly trust our government, its not like they would do something that could be used for somekind of stealth tax after all? would they?? :lol:

hello Slovak number plates... :)

hello Slovak number plates... :)

I already got a Czech car in my household on the basis that its registered on a czech address which can be proven. So far so good, maybe I need to explore that one a bit more, the landy is LHD anyway.....hmmmm.

Daan

they said they would be clamping down on foreign registered cars if they had been in the UK for 6 months plus. a couple of streets down is a Polish family, all on Polish plates, next door to one of the Police houses, they've been there for a couple of years now so it looks like a normal speed UK crackdown.... my Disco was on Belgium plates for 3 years till the Fins bought it - its still on them now :lol:

Daan - keep the paperwork, your lady still has her ID card/driving licence? in which case no prob :)

not the rate of hits dolly, but the ability to know where the hit is coming from, unless they are gonna use a monopulse tracker for rfid tags or something similar.

Don't think the directivity will be up to the task, RFID tags usually have a range of a 10s of cms in most cases, but there will be too many issues with sidelobes etc from the stimulating beam to be sure which tag is where.

Maybe there is something clever involved, but from my experience with tracking radars can't see this being a goer