Viscous fan removal

MogLite

Okay - the water pump on my 98 4.6HSE Rangie has failed. No drama, its happened before, it'll probably happen again.

But I can't get the viscous nut undone.

I know its LH thread.

So if I'm standing at the front of the vehicle - I need to move the spanner, from 12o'clock round to 3o'clock ?

If I'm right - its bl00dy tight :o

Okay - the water pump on my 98 4.6HSE Rangie has failed. No drama, its happened before, it'll probably happen again.

But I can't get the viscous nut undone.

I know its LH thread.

So if I'm standing at the front of the vehicle - I need to move the spanner, from 12o'clock round to 3o'clock ?

If I'm right - its bl00dy tight :o

Its definitly a LH thread i used a chisel and hammer to get mine off, its difficult to crack the nut sometimes with a spanner when the fan belt has spring in it.

Moglite,

Some Rover V8s are RH, some are LH. Personally I don't bother trying to remember which model does what, on any engine.

Go from the basic principle, which applies to any engine PROVIDING you know which way the fan rotates when the engine is running.

You ALWAYS loosen the nut in the SAME direction the fan rotates.

That's it, simple.

When you do it up again, you don't need a lot of force, just nip it up to make sure it's seated. The normal rotation of the engine will keep it tight enough.

HTH

You ALWAYS loosen the nut in the SAME direction the fan rotates.

That's it, simple.

Thats a good check David - I'll give it a look at tonight.

I was holding the pulley with an industrial boa constrictor, and beating the viscous spanner with a dead-blow hammer.

Maybe the hammer and chisel will have to come out

One that worked on the RR was to jam a thing (Eg screwdriver, bit of bar, small child) into the point where belt meets pulley so that the further round it goes the tighter it gets. Mr Morfee suggested it and we all went "Naaaaaahh", then it worked first time. So he does know at least one useful thing ;)

One that worked on the RR was to jam a thing (Eg screwdriver, bit of bar, small child) into the point where belt meets pulley so that the further round it goes the tighter it gets. Mr Morfee suggested it and we all went "Naaaaaahh", then it worked first time. So he does know at least one useful thing ;)

That'd be one more than you then Fridge :lol: