Stuck brake pedal

Lewis

The brake pedal on my 68 Series 2a has started to stick down, now I have to lift the pedal back up with my toe so that its not straining against the drums. The pedal return spring has never been attached so it cant be that, and i've tried coating everything in WD40 but it hasnt improved

Its non-servo and standard (but good recent condition) 10inch drums

Anyone got any ideas?

Lewis :)

It could be the brake pedal return spring because the pedal has to rise further than the upper limit of the master cyclinder so that there is some lost motion between the MC plunger and the pedal.

I'd also check the shoe springs are fitted correctly and not broken.

How far down does the pedal go?

You should lubricate the pedal pivot and also there is a pivot where the pushrod joins the pedal, this is hidden from view by the plate with 6 screws in it on top of the pedal box, under the bonnet. I'd be inclined to use a light oil such as 3-in-1 rather than WD40.

The pedal goes down until it almost reaches the floor if you press hard enough (same as ever) and brakes still operate as well as they have ever done, the only thing that has altered is the pedal not returning,

I'll have a go with the oil at the pushrod/pedal pivot and see what happens. Forgive my stupidity but, ignoring the pedal return spring, what usually makes my pedal return?

Lewis :)

The springs on the slave cylinders will push the fluid back up into the master cylinder, and there is a spring in the master cylinder too. The problem is the pedal will always be in contact with the MC plunger and may prevent the MC from fully recuperating.

If the pedal goes to the floor you could have the brakes mal-adjusted or air in the system, the latter will give a spongy feel to the brakes.

Okay, thanks for the explanation ;)

Being a complete bodge artist (as far as the series goes anyway) can I just fit a really stiff pedal return spring to hide the problem? - I like the cheapness and quickness of that solution - it saves me taking any wheels off :ph34r:

Okay, thanks for the explanation ;)

Being a complete bodge artist (as far as the series goes anyway) can I just fit a really stiff pedal return spring to hide the problem? - I like the cheapness and quickness of that solution - it saves me taking any wheels off :ph34r:

Fix the problem, not the symptoms - especially where brakes are concerned.

sounds like the flexi pipe has broken down inside to me acting like a flap and not letting the fluid return

Wouldnt that mean that the brakes would stay on if the flexi had turned itself into a one-way valve? the brakes still operate as they ever did, the only change is that now my pedal wont return

I've had this with a clutch pedal. Look under the bonnet at the pivot shaft where it passes through the pedal box. You'll see there is a 1/4" UNF bolt in the end of the shaft. Unscrew this and fit a 90 degree grease nipple, this then allows you to grease the pivots easily.

Common problem on 101's apparently - they came fitted with grease nipples here from the factory.

Jon