Winch remote sockets

madmatt

I run a Lodar remote on my mile marker however the standard supply socket is also wired in so I can plug the wander lead in if I have any problems with Lodar. The socket for the wander lead is on my dash, its a very poor quality and doesn't look to good, now I have my Nud dash console I was wondering if anyone supplys a better quality socket that will accept the milemarker wander lead??

Any of you guys got any ideas???

Cheers

Matt

You can take whatever connection you want if you also change the plug on the remote lead and as long as it has at least three pins/'oles. I changed to a 3-pin boatdeck connection, made in chromed brass and with a threaded cap with rubber gasket to close it off when not in use. Bought here in Sweden, but I'm sure you can find something similar in "fine shops everywhere". :)

Edited for clarity. Link to pic and description (in Swedish :huh: ): http://www.biltema.se/products/product.asp?iItemId=89599

I have a switch on the gearstick and a switch on the bonnet slam, as well as the remote socket there too. The electricity for a MM is very simple, supply 12v and switch it to one wire for 'in', the other wire for 'out'. Since I fitted the switches I don't even carry the wanderlead in the car any more, it's too much faffing.

I bought a red alloy remote as used on the Husky winches from David Bowyer because the standard plasticky MM remote was junk and let me down and the Husky one is the best available IMHO, though not cheap. I have reversed over one of the Husky ones and it survived (admittedly on grass not on tarmac!)

He supplied a matching socket for a few quid extra and it is wired in parallel with the Milemarker own brand wireless remote, works fine. I have mine mounted on the back of the cubby box rather than outside the vehicle, when I am outside I use the wireless and I would never use anything else, the MM one is not that great for range and one day when I get around to it, it will be replaced with a Lodar, but I'd no more go back to a wired winch remote than I would to a wired remote for my video recorder, I can only assume the vast majority of people have never tried one! I can't remember when I last used the wired remote, though I always carry it for a backup.

IMHO I would not rely on the std Milemarker remote handset for a backup because it is not at all reliable - the switches give out very easily and it doesn't like being trodden on either... there are plenty of better ones out there, the Warn handsets are good too, just get a remote and the matching socket for it and it will be easy to connect up.

I fitted 2 of the Superwinch sockets as used for the Husky red hand controll, put 1 socket above each headlight near the bonnet front edge [see picture] also have a Lodar radio remote, so as not to be resticted by the hand control lead length.

superwinch part numbers --- plug 8625 & socket 8636

phone 01822 614101.

post-20-1171995445_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

Thanks everyone,

Ralph thanks for part numbers and phone number will call and order tomorrow.

I hear what people say about the MM wander lead but as its only ever been used for initial test and kept in the dry of the cubby box I find it hard to justify buying a Husky remote at 60 quid!

I will always use the Lodar unless there's a problem with it.

Matt

fair enough but just bear this in mind.... the switch in my Milemarker wired remote failed after only about 10 uses, Alfred Murray sent me 2 replacement switches and the first one of those didn't work either :huh:

switch quality leaves a bit to be desired... but I also found the rocker switch very awkward to use, much prefer a toggle