Exhausts

Jon W

At the moment my 2.5 petrol 90 has a standard exhaust expect for the middle scilencer is removed, this gives a nice lot os noise B) and at the moment clears the PTO on the back of the transfer box. However i now have plans to rotate the PTO as the first PTO was smashed off by my brother :angry: . So as a temporary measure while i am in the process of rotating the PTO and sorting out where the shaft run, is it possible to use the flexi exhaust pipe stuff like used on 300Tdi disco's i think. Just until i get a custom exhaust made up, or longer depend on when funds will allow.

Any ideas welcome.

Cheers

Jonathan

Formerly Norfolk_enchants

Yes tony that would be why, james that would be useful if you dont need it, how much do you want for it? or if anyone knows of a supplier, as i need the truck everyday so any modifications need to be done all at once or temporary measures installed. I need to think of the best ideas for the exhaust, because it is a bit loud at the moment. Does a cherry bomb exhaust makes much differentce as the rear silencer is not doing much at the moment. So will it make much difference, as all i have is a rear silencer which doesnt do much.

Any ideas welcome as will probably get a custom system made up, but want it to be right first time.

Thanks

Jonathan

you can have it, its doing nothing here.

i am around this weekend and next and the one after. i will be going to the CSW event on the 30th in North devon (are you going/aware - your bros got some details)

i will be down in Cullompton next Sat am if thats any good to you, could meet you down there.

Jon,

I used a cherry bomb and flexi pipe when I did mine,

I'll post some pics when I find them...

on the subject of rotating the PTO its a lot of work !

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1233.jpg

DSCN1232.jpg

rod5.jpg

rod4.jpg

rod3.jpg

rod2.jpg

rod1.jpg

Drill the PTO in the right place at the right angle

Alter the control linkage to engage the PTO as it now pointing at 45 degs

Cut and weld back up gearbox mounts to allow the rods to pass through

cut and weld clearance into the gearbox cross member to allow the rods to pass

fabicate and weld new bearing support brackets

make new shafts as required as the lengths alter

re jiggle all the front mounting to ensure alignment and clearance of all the pulleys etc

re fabricate the exhaust as you've found out and make new support brackets

:o

worth it though !

Cheers les i was going to ask you if you could post some pictures. I realise it is a lot of work and so will not be completed for a while. Richard is getting a new PTO soon, so i will hopefully get it done bit by bit depending on the time i have to do it. Rotating the PTO seems straight forward and the lever cant be to bad as a friend can weld it. The main thing is the shafts. So i will have to see how it goes or speak to Nige nicely? Our winch has more shafts than a H14 does so it maybe easier or morecomplicated due to more mountings. The other problem i have is the downpipe. But i will have to see how it goes.

Maybe getting a guard made up for underneath is the easiest solution after all :(

Cheers

Jonathan

Jonathon,

I saw something on the net somewhere a few years ago, where someone had used a front steering guard as a PTO guard. Because the front steering quard is the right width, it was apparently fairly straight forward to drill and sleeve a few holes through the chassis rails to bolt it up. It fitted almost flat to the bottom of the chassis rails and prevented the PTO from getting wacked without losing much clearance.

Can't remember where I saw it, but it sounds like a much quicker and cheaper solution to rotating the PTO and the associated work. You could then run standard exhaust parts which keeps the noise down.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Did buy a steering guard with the idea of doing this but the guard we brought had a sharp point that stuck down because its L shaped. However i may look into some make of steering guard, or get one custom made as it will be better in the long run or easier than roatating the pto. Cheers for the ideas.

Jonathan

how about a full lenght axle guard mounted across the chassis rails acting as a big skid plate i expect that would do the trick.

alternatively just get a specific guard made to fit the gap such as D2 runs. i expect Dave from Southdown would be interested in making something up for you, reasonably close as well.